Enjoying the fruits of your labours

• 8 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Enjoying the fruits of your labours
« on: December 22, 2021, 20:35 »
Or veg or anything else for that matter  :D  It is close enough now I think for our annual feel good thread on what we are putting on the table this Christmas.

Even with a less than ideal growing year, I have the following for the holidays - spuds, onions and squash from the shed, plus leeks, cabbage and turnips fresh from the plot and braised red cabbage and broad beans from the freezer.
There are also a few nice bottles of infused goodies to sample - red rhubarb gin, gooseberry gin, loganberry vodka and spiced plum whisky.

What you all got then ?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Enjoying the fruits of your labours
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 21:25 »
I'm due to travel down to my Mum's tomorrow, so I have just dug up some spuds (yes, I'm bad at harvesting in a  timely manner!), pencil-like leeks, tiny carrots from the greenhouse border, and 1 parsnip that is thumb-sized. Not sure where the other two parsnips went ...  ???
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 07:27 »
Some leeks left here, amazingly tall for some reason...

Today is the day of reckoning for making some chilli jam, because they've been fabulous this year, (plants bought locally, none from seed)! I was going to somehow put them in with last year's chutney, but now want something different!

I made a disastrous chicken casserole yesterday, which seemed to separate into an odd sort of mush after I added a wodge of frozen home-grown toms, and the soup from the rest is going to be binned as well! It was hideous!

It's cauli cheese today, so probably a safer bet!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 09:18 »
HG red cabbage in the freezer, Sarpo Mira in the shed, various squash, my Rhubarb and Apple chutney plus redcurrant jelly. Sadly attempts at growing winter cabbage and leeks, failed this year  :( but there's chard in the garden, if I fancy any of that!

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 10:52 »
Joint effort with my son who is cooking

We've got potatoes, carrots, sprouts and leeks.  Parsnip and swede from a fellow plot holder in exchange for some leeks.  The peas were frozen earlier in the year.  Raspberries, blackcurrants and blackberries to make a trifle. 

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 12:28 »
Er, at the moment we just have some leeks to harvest. Hey, it was just a trial year in our new home so at least we have something from the fruits of my Herculean year.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 20:47 »
Well tomorrow night I’ll have celeriac remoulade & there’s plenty more to come( years since I’ve grown any) there’ll also be various salad leaves - lettuce,mizuna, lambs lettuce, baby chard & spinach & a couple of others I’ve forgotten (I bought these as plug plants to keep the tunnel planted over the winter). There’s also 2 types of radish in the tunnel for my salad tomorrow . I pulled some beetroot today that I’ll boil to supplement our dinner tomorrow  too.
Christmas Day we’ll have parsnips from the plot & from the tunnel carrots & leeks. There’s various berries in the freezer that are destined for various desserts. There’s lots of jams & chutneys, pickled beetroot but I’ve eaten all the pickled shallots lol.
I’ve got a bit of psb waiting for another day along with Tuscan kale. And of course plenty of eggs from our new girls.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

al78

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2021, 22:16 »
Minimal fruits of my labour this year. My brassicas seem to be less and less vigorous with every passing year, despite me spreading horse manure and applying fertilizer prior to planting out. This year the weather was very poor through almost the entire growing season, so slug attacks were worse than normal. I planted far too many climbing French beans but had to compost three quarters of them anyway because they exploded in production when I was away from home and had gone over and were all big and stringy when I got round to picking them.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 15:50 »
Still available to harvest fresh are Parsnips, Leeks, PSB, Perpetual Kale, Perpetual Spinach, Parsley, plenty of "woody" herbs, Claytonia, Lettuce, Pak Choi (!!)< Japanese Greens Cauliflower, several varieties of late Cabbage, Sprouts, Salad Onions (Had to dig up all the Carrots as rodents were eating the tops: the roots are in a box of compost in the garage, so not technically still growing, even though they have hair roots on them now!)

Lots of other veg and fruit in the freezer and variously preserved in jars too, as well as Potatoes and Onions in bags out in the garage. Only a few Apples left and two Pears though
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Enjoying autumn sunshine

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2018, 14:40
by snowdrops
xx
Are you enjoying or enduring the hot weather?

Started by JayG on Chatting on the Plot

71 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 07:04
by Growster...
xx
Dried fruits for the birds.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post December 05, 2021, 11:38
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 46 queries.