E10

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

E10
« on: July 30, 2021, 15:59 »
I just wonder if this country is getting sillier by the day  I've been told that there going to introduce a new fuel  called E10 that will effect most older petrol cars around the 2000 year mark as fuel will not be compatible  does this mean cars like ours that's is in good condition has a regular service had it from new in 2000  and only used short millage shopping mostly and the odd visit to the garden centre now will be on the scrap heap

and there must be thousands of folks like us with those cars that are a lifeline especially in rural areas so at the snap of a finger we go out and buy a brand new must have  electric car of cause how many would be in that position to buy a new car I ask myself its about time someone stood up and asked some of these bods witch planet  are there on maybe  they have the luxury of a free car that goes with there job or position they hold
the mind boggles as we do seem to get our priorities wrong in this nanny country

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: E10
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 16:15 »
You'll still be able to buy 'ordinary' petrol RW
If your petrol vehicle or equipment is not compatible with E10 fuel, you will still be able to use E5 by purchasing the ‘super’ grade (97+ octane) petrol from most filling stations.

Petrol pumps will clearly label petrol as either E10 or E5.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e10-petrol-explained

Welsh Merf

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 06:58 »
Thank you for this. I have not read or heard anything about this subject until now, but I have followed the link to get a better understanding. My car is a 2019 model, and, having checked, is cleared for E10 use.
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 08:30 »
thanks Mum for that info :)  as i was getting a bit concerned having read about E10 on the net all we need now is our car to pass its  MOT that's due now fingers crossed

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 12:53 »
Remember to not leave either E5 or E10 in small petrol engine garden equipment once the active season is over as the Ethanol stiffens fuel lines and can attract water which pools in the carbs and tank.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 14:47 »
So what is the situation regarding diesel cars.   Tony Blair told me to buy it, will he arrange for an exchange  :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 14:55 »
The 'supergrade' petrol is better for cars on short journeys, as modern engines need to heat up, and get working efficiently.

My petrolhead friend instructed me to do this some time ago, and he's been proved right...

I think...

Regarding small garden kit, I use the same petrol, and while it is indeed a good idea to drain the tanks at the end of the season, I didn't have that much of a problem with the following season if there was some left, (£1.30 per litre..!), and made sure that the tools were kept in a dry shed at least, so no condensation/issues happened.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 00:11 »
Remember to not leave either E5 or E10 in small petrol engine garden equipment once the active season is over as the Ethanol stiffens fuel lines and can attract water which pools in the carbs and tank.

Best advice is to fill the tank with small quantities when using that equipment near the end of the season, so you can always run it to empty or close to it.

Your equipment may have different requirements than mine, but my lawn mower specifies mid-grade octane content (89 I think).  Fuel stabilizer also helps if you have it.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 48 queries.