Too old for a cold shower !

• 21 Replies

Lardman

Too old for a cold shower !
« on: July 05, 2021, 22:01 »
I was denied my morning shower today as there was no hot water - my ageing combi-boiler requires regular percussive maintenance so it's not a surprise anymore when stuff doesn't work.  :nowink: After more time than I care to admit with the multimeter and even a proper paper manual I finally found the culprit.

This is one of the temperature sensors under the microscope (x20). I've resolder it as a temporary fix and ordered a shockingly expensive new one  :mad: but why on earth wasn't it potted and just the spade connectors left exposed?  Its not like boilers are hot and damp places where stuff might corrode or anything  :nowink:

I've finally managed my shower - even if it was 14 hours late.
not_funny.JPG

snowdrops

Re: Too old for a cold shower !
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 08:56 »
 :mad: you could have come & stood in my front room window & had a shower  :ohmy: :lol:, there’s water p###ing in when it rains!
Glad it’s fixed are you any good with roofs? Lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 11:20 »
I am totally p******* off with anything to do with water at the moment.  Now I shall have to get a gutter fixer in.  My poor old boiler is due for a service in a couple of week.   There are not part available for it now.
Oh Dear, I shall be the poorest woman in the churchyard.   
Lardy remember only dirty people need to wash !!!!    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  Mrs B
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 15:26 »
Glad it’s fixed are you any good with roofs? Lol

Only if they're at floor level - I've got the roofers coming to give me a quote to do mine on Friday  :( I don't think it will last another winter, my guttering is full of bits of tiles and from the inside on a sunny day it looks like a starry night. Still it's over 80 years old now, so I shouldn't complain it only leaks when it rains.

Now I shall have to get a gutter fixer in.  My poor old boiler is due for a service in a couple of week.   There are not part available for it now.
Trust me I fully understand,   I swear owning a house is like setting fire to piles of money on a regular basis, if something is not currently in need of repair, renewal or replacement you just haven't checked it recently !  I have no idea how people who aren't able just to fix stuff manage, Id need another mortgage if I had to pay a trades(person) to sort half the stuff. There's a retirement complex locally here - it's looking more and more appealing by the day  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 16:32 »
Yes I’m with you on that one LM, I’ve no idea how people afford to have things done. Mind you as hubby was in the building trade plus manufacturing I suppose we’re re a bit spoilt as he can fix most things & does. Yes luckily the roof that needs new felt he thinks is on ground floor level & isn’t to deep as it’s just over the front door & front room window, hopefully shouldn’t be too bad, plus I suggested if 3 of them do it  (note them not me lol ) it shouldn’t be too bad. Them being our son & daughter as he’s spent so much time on their 2 houses ( 2 each) in the past few years ours has taken a back seat & there’s quite a list now :lol: :nowink:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 16:33 by snowdrops »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 17:53 »
Houses are always hungry  -  they will gobble up your money and energy.      Mrs B

al78

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 11:48 »
Yes I’m with you on that one LM, I’ve no idea how people afford to have things done.

If you don't have the expertise you have to get a professional in. Home maintenance is just a regular expenditure like servicing/repairing/insuring your car, or any other expenditure, that is why I have a job and earn money. You can cut down on costs by only tackling essential jobs, those that will get worse and/or could lead to inflated costs down the road if left unchecked. There are things I coulds easily spend several thousand on, but in reality, whilst the carpets and laminate are old and looking tired, it is not essential to replace them because they are still functional and not in a poor state. If I want to get the boiler serviced, that isn't very expensive. I've just replaced my kettle which had been in use for nearly 30 years because it died on the weekend. In other words, I don't spend money for the sake of it, there has to be a justification i.e. is it REALLY necessary? Works well for avoiding unnecessary spending in shops and online as well.

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 15:58 »
Houses are always hungry  -  they will gobble up your money and energy.      Mrs B

I've heard the same said about children  :lol:

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 16:12 »
Today's "what's wrong now?!" is my TV (not actually used as a TV but a monitor), It started to strobe yesterday to the extent I can't look at it without feeling sick.  :( 12 screws and a lot of dust later I find this, which I hope is the source of the problem,  I'm a little out of my depth on this one.

I don't mind things going wrong but it would be nice if I wasn't having to fix things on a daily basis  ::)

(I know I bought everything at the same time so it stands to reason it would all fail at the same time  :nowink: )
bad_cap.JPG

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 20:41 »
Yep, today our fridge freezer packed up  :mad: so after over an hour & a half with online support we’ve got an engineer booked for next Wednesday, I’ve got a £50 voucher for Sainsbury’s for my inconvenience, & no working fridge for a week ( well I’ve borrowed my daughters spare one, but the company  don’t know that).

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 21:13 »
 don't get me started about combi boilers every time i went to have a shower got all ready not a stich on open the shower door got inside then bang hot turns to cold i really can't say what  I said at the time on this site and it kept happening lovely hot water when washing up then of to shower got inside the shower and hot water turns to cold  :mad:

so we had British gas out as we where on contract and basically it was worn out so we invested in a new combi  boiler don't ask what it cost but its certainly a lot better for both the central heating and hot water and its nice to step into a shower that actually works every time O' well there goes my new car :D

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 23:18 »
Yep, today our fridge freezer packed up  :mad:
Are you looking around for what's going to be the third thing ? I am  :D Mother Lard would suggest snapping a match.

we invested in a new combi  boiler don't ask what it cost

I'll probably go back to a system boiler if this thing ever gives up fully - combis have too much inside to go wrong. What's wrong with a big lump of cast iron filled with water and a flame under it. 

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 11:11 »
It verks  :D TV fixed for the price of a nice cabbage  :tongue2:

That could well have ended up as landfill for the sake of a cheap dead capacitor. Replaced it with a nice new panasonic one this morning for the pricely sum of £1.57 delivered from ebay. Everything is back to 32" goodness, no flicker and I can see text again  ::) .

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2021, 17:01 »
Yep, today our fridge freezer packed up  :mad:
Are you looking around for what's going to be the third thing ? I am  :D Mother Lard would suggest snapping a match.

Yes & I’m dreading finding out what it will be!

Lardman

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 18:43 »
Yes & I’m dreading finding out what it will be!

Well I think I just found my number #3. The roofer has just sent over a quote - £10,500  :ohmy: , either they don't want the work or they're trying it on.

xx
Anyone had this rotten cold?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post January 21, 2020, 12:45
by Goosegirl
xx
Very cold week to come

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post February 06, 2021, 13:49
by jezza
xx
Very cold toes.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post November 06, 2022, 10:19
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Cold start surprise

Started by Debz on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post October 02, 2019, 21:03
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 53 queries.