Chilli Preserving

• 3 Replies

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
Chilli Preserving
« on: September 15, 2008, 21:53 »
If we have a glut of anything this damp summer, surprisingly, it is chillies!

I've chucked a few...tentatively, into some chutneys and made a mildly chilli passata sauce. I think I might try and make a hot mango and apple chutney too...but we will still have loads left. The freezer looks like the best bet, but they are so beautiful I'd like to have a jar on the side. I've read that they go off very easily in oil but that vinegar might be good.

What do other folks do?

Cheers

Jx
If life gives you lemons...wrap a dog turd in newspaper and set fire to it on Life's doorstep.

Skip

• Experienced Member
Chilli Preserving
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 22:50 »
What variety are they, AV?
Skip, in Oz

agapanthus

Chilli Preserving
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 10:58 »
Last year I made a crab-apple and chilli jelly. Cut up your apples....don't need to peel or core and put them in a large saucepan with some water. Let these cook quite slowly until soft and mushy and all of the water has steamed off. Put the mush into a jelly bag and let it drip...preferably overnight...until it completely stops.
For every pint of juice you end up with add up to 1lb of sugar......I don't add this much, I prefer it slightly tart...I probably add 6 - 8 oz. Add some fresh chopped chillies and a few whole ones ( the amount depending on how hot you like it!)  and bring this rapidly to the boil until you have setting point. ( take a spoonful of mixture and put on a cold plate....leave it for a minute or so....then push the jelly gently with your finger and if it wrinkles and crickles then you have setting point. Ladle into clean hot jars...add a clove or 2 of garlic and put on the lids but don't completely tighten the lids until the jelly is cool.

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
Chilli Preserving
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 19:22 »
Quote from: "Skip"
What variety are they, AV?

Dunno, just some tiny chilli plants from Wilkos that turned into great big buhes with dozens of bright red chillis. There's still a few green ones too. I was amazed. They went outdoors in July and just carried on growing. I would say they are pretty hot. I've already made the mistake of getting their juice under my fingernails and boy does it sting.

The passata I made (with lotty tomatoes, onions and herbs plus a few chopped chillis) has got a real zing to it but I reckon I could double the strength of the chilli component and it would still be pretty edible.

I like the apple jelly idea. I think I might pickle some to keep on the side (in white vinegar) and freeze the rest, but not before I've tried to make a fizz bomb chutney suitable for accompanying an Indian meal.

:lol:

Jx

question
Preserving

Started by AUNTIEBIZZIE on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 22:12
by iggyboy
xx
New to preserving..

Started by cudders on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 14:55
by Beetroot queen
xx
preserving pan

Started by summer29 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 11:19
by madcat
xx
Preserving Day.....

Started by triage999 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 21:47
by Redwellies

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 35 queries.