Chitting question...

• 13 Replies

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Chitting question...
« on: January 18, 2008, 22:28 »
I know this is probably one of those 'piece of string' questions  :oops:  but how soon before planting to I need to start chitting my spuds?

I don't want to start too early and have them ready too soon.  :?

I was given some maincrop late last season so I threw them straight in the ground so I've never done the chitting thing!!!
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

splodger

Chitting question...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 22:33 »
this came up earlier - so you can scroll down a few posts - i think it was under confused  :?

get your chits going now - light, cool, frost free place - you want short but strong (almost purple)shoots - if they get too long and leggy (the shoots that is) it's too dark or too warm or both  :wink:

so stick them in a shed window or something  :wink:

gobs

Chitting question...
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 22:33 »
You got to wissy/ grow how info forum, veg potato, and there.

:D  :D
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Chitting question...
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 22:34 »
The problem is, if you don't set them up somewhere cool & light, you'll get long, drawn, spindly shoots.

See here for further info..

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=10941&highlight=wysiwyggy+potato
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Chitting question...
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 22:36 »
Sorry I was a minute behind you two, but I took the trouble to find the link. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Snap Dragon

Chitting question...
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 22:49 »
Thanks peeps..... I had already read the 'wiggy' bit but I still wasn't too sure on timescales ie could I chit in Jan to plant in March or would that have been too soon.

I'll take a trip to the garden centre on Sunday and get me spuds ready to make a start. I think they should be ok on the window sill of the spare room - I'll turn the radiator right down in there.

Bare with me I'll be asking lots of stupid questions in the coming weeks.  :oops:

gobs

Chitting question...
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 22:54 »
Yes, don't you have a garage or a shed as suggested in links you read, would be a better place for them.

Snap Dragon

Chitting question...
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 23:01 »
I don't have a shed but I do have a garage - but it has no windows, so too dark.

I have a fairly cool conservatory - unless hubby sits in there watching his fishing/footy progs and then he puts some heating on!  :?

gobs

Chitting question...
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 23:06 »
the place they need to be in needs to be pretty cool, rather cold, I'd say, so if no shed, you consider the coldest bit of your house, really.

Hampshire Hog

Chitting question...
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 18:33 »
I let my spuds chit in my unheated conservatory and they seem to do pretty well just have to make sure the sun doesn't shine too brightly and warm it up. (Not normally a problem here!) Other watch out is if is forecast below zero I pull them in overnight and then put them back when it warms up by a couple of degrees. You don't want leggy shoots but you can rub them off if they are too long and they just resprout.

Cheers HH :)
Keep digging

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chitting question...
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 19:21 »
I know some people have started their first early potatoes chitting already , but it is still quite early.  First earlies need to chit for about six weeks and be planted around the end of March.

Light and cool as DD says.  Your conservatory sounds OK to me.  Give hubby a jumper and keep the heating off  :lol:

moggy

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chilliupnorth.co.uk/
Chitting question...
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 17:34 »
just wanted to say thanks to people who replied to this thread as i was just about to ask the same question.

i think ill put mine in either the conservatory or the garage....would the greenhouse have been ok (had it not had some paines missing?)
It's Chilli up North.

WG.

Chitting question...
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 17:41 »
Quote from: "moggy"
just wanted to say thanks to people who replied to this thread as i was just about to ask the same question.

i think ill put mine in either the conservatory or the garage....would the greenhouse have been ok (had it not had some paines missing?)
as long as it stays frost-free

moggy

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chilliupnorth.co.uk/
Chitting question...
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 22:00 »
cheers wg, i think ill put them in the conservatory or garage for now then and maybe the greenhouse once its repaired or maybe next year lol

xx
chitting question!

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 15:32
by Y.E.A.H
xx
Chitting sweetcorn........another question!

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 09:57
by Zippy
smiley
Basic question, but I just dont know - Chitting Potatoes

Started by ally on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 15:43
by noshed
xx
Chitting

Started by Welsh Merf on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 12:58
by Welsh Merf

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 39 queries.