New allotment

• 11 Replies

RichardD

New allotment
« on: July 17, 2010, 17:56 »
Hi
Just found out that I have got my first allotment. Went down there this morning and was a little surprised at the amount of work i will have to do to get it into shape. Does anyone know what weeds i have

THANKS
allotment4.jpg
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 17:59 by RichardD »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: New allotment
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 18:53 »
Hi Richard & welcome.

Definitely docks, and I'd get them out PDQ if you don't want more!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 18:53 »
You have a lovely crop of self seeding docks (as we speak!)  Get them out sharpish!
As for the rest, it looks like grasses judging by the seed heads.

Hand pull them out as much as you can ( I wouldnt recommend strimming as it will spread the seeds, but hey, needs must at times so if you have to.....). Give it a dig in patches (take your time its not a race), and cover the rest as you go.  It'll soon be looking shipshape, but dont overdo it and get fed up.

If its any help, mine was worse, and three years later its spot on, with a crop of something every year, so its well worth the effort
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

RichardD

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 19:16 »
Thanks for the help.  It's going to be hard work but will be worth it.
Cheers

Tattie Bogle

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 19:37 »
Good luck! It's hard work to start but once it's cleared worst is behind you!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 19:42 »
Remember to show us your pics, you'll be glad you kept a record. We were looking at ours the other day and didnt recognise the place

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 20:53 »
Good luck Richard, it will be hard work but very much worth it.
We only took ours on last year and had to start from scratch but it's really satisfying.
 :D
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 22:43 »
I took mine this time last year it looked worse with lots of ground elder.  I have now set mine out with beds and paths.  It was hard work but accepted I was not growing anything just digging.  I put in garlic and overwintering onions and have had a good crop. Hard digging then some more hard digging.  Tomorow I will harvest braod beans, peas, carrots and mangetout for sunday dinner that makes the hard work worthwhile.  Good luck unlike other people we are in it together here.
Time waits for no man and I can't wait for growth.

gillie

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 07:19 »
I spy couch grass ('twitch') amongst the docks.  Dig out as much of the long white roots as you can, but it will keep coming back.

Hit it hard and often and you will beat it in the end.

Gillie

RichardD

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 07:52 »
Thanks for all the support and advice. Will post some more photos when I have got "stuck in"..

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 09:51 »
Mine started off like this.  I would hand weed all the seeding plants now to help prevent further damage then strim off down to about a foot. Then spray with roundup or similar which will kill the weeds and roots of anything green but will not (they claim) contaminate the soil.  You will need to wait up to 3 weeks for all the roots and tops to die and may want to re-treat any areas still green. I would then pull/dig out any thick dead tops and clear as much as possible.  Personally I would then get hold of a rotovator and go over the whole plot.  You will then have a plot that you can plant in within the month;  doubtless many will disagree and say that you should do it all by hand and hard graft - your call! 
You will still get lots a weeds coming up over the next couple of years or  so from seeds already in the ground but it will be controlable if you keep on top of it and you will be able to grow lovely grub at the same time!
John

Beetroot queen

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 10:43 »
Its plot 65 again, looks nearly the same as ours did, well add another 2 foot on all the weeds it would.

we strimmed and hand dug the whole thing hard work but worth it

xx
New Allotment

Started by the_gherkin on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 04, 2011, 19:50
by brokenglass
clip
My allotment

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2014, 11:44
by Goosegirl
xx
New allotment!

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 15:29
by mumofstig
xx
new allotment

Started by alexroyall85 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2013, 22:43
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 39 queries.