Peach and nectarine trees

• 3 Replies

Speachless

Peach and nectarine trees
« on: July 17, 2010, 16:53 »
I am new here. Which is the best place to put my question please? It is about peach and nectarine trees which are so laden with foliage that the sun can't get to the fruit but I do not know which bits to cut off. One tree only has one fruit growing on it so I must have cut off the wrong bits last. year. Help please.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Peach and nectarine trees
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 17:00 »
Can't help, sorry, but your question's in the right place and welcome to the forums.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Junie

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 18:41 »
The RHS do a good book for pruning everything you can think of, it covers all the fruit trees.  May be worth a look.  I refer to mine almost constantly  It is called RHS Pruning & Training I got mine from Amazon - about £12

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 00:29 »
Peach trees really don't require regular pruning like apples. What you do need to remove are any crossed branches, branches growing too close together, excessive suckers/water sprouts (yes, peaches get these at times), damaged ones, etc. If you feel the foliage is still too thick, then carefully judge where best to remove one whole branch at a time rather than do lots of snipping everywhere. It would only take a few branches to open the tree up (just don't take off the largest branches  ;))

If you're still not confident, get hold of a pruning book, perhaps at the library.

xx
Growing Peach & Nectarine Trees outside in the uk

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 18:40
by Malturn
xx
Peach Trees

Started by Coach on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 12:47
by dno71
xx
Peach Trees

Started by Mr Rotavator on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 14, 2012, 21:28
by dno71
xx
Fungicide on Peach Trees

Started by mikeimp on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2020, 22:16
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 35 queries.