Which? report on the best seed suppliers

• 18 Replies

Grubbypaws

Which? report on the best seed suppliers
« on: October 24, 2021, 15:37 »
The consumers association Which? have just done a review of Best places to buy seeds and plants online. Its top seed supplier is realseeds.co.uk. They have a unique guarantee: if you’re unhappy with anything about its seeds, even the flavour of the final crop, it will replace, refund or give you a credit note.

Second is Kingsseed.co.uk which has a great website and Kings Seeds also offers substantial discounts for bulk orders from allotment associations

Third is chilternseed.co.uk which was the only supplier in their survey to get five stars for its range of seeds.

There is a lot more information in their review including best plants and plug plants. You can only access this information if you are a member so if any non members want info just ask and I will pass it on.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 16:15 by Grubbypaws »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Best seed suppliers
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 16:24 »
I like Realseeds, but they have a very limited range, plus a minimum order, a nuisance if I only want to top up by a packet, when seed-saving fails for some reason.
Chiltern have a fantastic range of garden plants/trees/flowers - but not a huge range of veg seeds IMO. So depends what you want to buy.
I regularly use Kings, they weren't as quick as usual with delivery this year, but I think they had Covid problems along with everybody else, so will order from them again this year.
I also like Francchi/Seeds of Italy, when I used to look after the school garden, once registered, they would send free seeds to the school each year, to encourage children to grow and eat veg. Great company ethics  :)

There are several companies out there that I just refuse to use, because service has been terrible for more than a few years. Enough is enough  :mad:

rowlandwells

Re: Best seed suppliers
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 16:52 »
we subscribe to which magazine but I'm not that sure about all they write or promote sometimes  I have my own opinions what they have to say don't always agree with them and I make my own mind up when it comes to seed suppliers basically speak as you find

we deal with 3 seed suppliers Kings being the main one as you point out it has its  benefits of belonging to an allotment association again good service can't complain but with saying that the other 2 suppliers are equally as good all be it a bit more costly DT Brown good service Moles seeds very good service we have been dealing with Moles for a number of years now and they have give us very good service I've always found there catalogue has a very comprehensive range of flower and veg seeds

but that's not saying any of the other's you mention are equally as good like  the ones we deal with I suppose its all down to ones preferences at the end of the day

we deal with another company for our plug plants and raised cuttings a bit pricy but very good pugs and plants again one gets what one pays for  :D :D

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Which? report on the best seed suppliers
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 17:49 »
I always like to recommend Plants of Distinction too. Fantastic range of interesting seed varieties though they are pricey.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 17:55 »
Garden club uses Kings seeds with a hefty discount as mentioned, last year we placed a very big order as people had found seeds hard to come by due to the pandemic, in the past I’ve tended to collect more than a fair few packets from the sales but obviously last year & this I’ve not been able or wanted to go out & about plus the big local garden centre got taken over by Dobies & they don’t seem to discount the seeds as much so I bought through the Kings seeds & was very happy with everything & so have ordered again. Even found out today I can still order what I’ve forgotten myself & still get the discount (loofah’s)- fancy growing my own  having seen how much they are selling for as eco pan scrubbers :mad:. Worth a try methinks.
Thanks for the info grubbypaws, I’ll mention it in our clubs next monthly email & our next newsletter.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 11:57 »
T Brown comes in 4th and Plants of Distinction 6th. Any guesses which seed supplier comes in last  ;) ?

The article came just in time for me and I found everything that I wanted at Kings seed and am really happy to have changed supplier. Excited  :D

For plug plants they recommend brooksidenursery.co.uk and dtbrownseeds.co.uk

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 10:47 »
I use Real Seeds and King's Seeds regularly and agree with their high ratings in the Which? report.
Like Mumofstig I also use Seeds of Italy.  Their packets are very generous with the amount of seed.
One supplier that doesn't get a mention that I like a lot is Simpson's Seeds, probably as they are a small company.  They have a huge range of chillies and tomatoes.  They also do excellent plug plants, which I have used a couple of times.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 12:36 »
I've had a few packets from Premier Seeds as I think they've has been mentioned on here. They don't have pictures or info on the packets which must help with costs and have quite a range of veg and flowers. Anyone else found them good? I never buy seeds or plants from a certain previously popular company (?!) but get my plug plants from Gardening Direct as they're really well-packed, good-looking plants and aren't that expensive.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

perris

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 07:53 »
I used Seekay this year for the first time, and was generally pleased with what I got. Did they appear in the Which survey?
If you don't know this firm (I didn't before stumbling across it online), they do have quite a range of veg seeds, https://www.seekay.co.uk/vegetable-seeds-15-c.asp

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 09:56 »
have always had good price and service from premier seeds dont know if they are in the report??
from bow like to grow

Grubbypaws

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 10:24 »
I used Seekay this year for the first time, and was generally pleased with what I got. Did they appear in the Which survey?
If you don't know this firm (I didn't before stumbling across it online), they do have quite a range of veg seeds, https://www.seekay.co.uk/vegetable-seeds-15-c.asp
No they didnt appear. Which? looked at 21 plug plants suppliers and 14 seed suppliers. The report does not say how they selected the firms.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 10:25 »
have always had good price and service from premier seeds dont know if they are in the report??

No they are not. I dont know how Which? selected the companies, their report doesnt say.

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 13:03 »
I've stopped subscribing to Which? as their reports aren't all that comprehensive with their selection of firms and I do find a bit of bias as well. I now go on several websites and see which product gets the most consistent good reviews.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 14:40 »
I've stopped subscribing to Which? as their reports aren't all that comprehensive with their selection of firms and I do find a bit of bias as well. I now go on several websites and see which product gets the most consistent good reviews.
Which seed supplier does your research turn up as best, Goosegirl? Is it Premier seeds that you mentioned earlier?

Which company do you never buy seeds from so I know to avoid them?!

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 22:14 »

No they are not. I dont know how Which? selected the companies, their report doesnt say.
It does say. They do a survey of their members, there are many of them.  Those companies with fewer than 30 responses are excluded.

xx
Seed suppliers

Started by The Red Baron on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 12:55
by J_B
xx
Seed suppliers

Started by Daisygirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 05, 2013, 18:37
by sunshineband
xx
Seed Suppliers.

Started by Steve.P on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 23:54
by Steve.P
xx
seed suppliers

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 15:04
by abraidwood

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 52 queries.