Runner beans: is it safe to plant established stock outside in Midlands

• 6 Replies

Hugh

Hello, We acquired our allotment 7 weeks ago and have transformed it from a jungle into prime real estate (thinking of moving there!). However, we are novices with regard to vegetable planting. Do you think it is now safe to plant my established stock of runner beans outdoors. The plants are 8-10" with lots of runners and large leaves. The weather look really good this week in the Midlands.

Also, I have a stock of French beans and courgettes. All well established indoors and hardened off during the day. Is it too early to put these in their final resting place.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Hugh

Growster...

Hi Hugh - welcome to the best gardening place where we all meet..;0)

As long as you feel that hardening off has been done properly, (looks like you have done exactly that), then the weather is pretty well set fair to get all those out into their new homes!

It always seems a bit of a risk, I'm still the same after far too many years, but it sounds to me that you're just ready to get going, so just do it!

Best of luck, and keep in touch with the rest of us here as much as you like, because we all help each other!

Hugh

Hi Growster, Thanks for the thumbs up. I will take a chance and go for it tomorrow. Your reply is greatly appreciated. Hugh

garrarufa

• Munin's Sketch-blog
Hi Huge,

I'm still a newbie too. Both in terms of this community, and growing veg' in general. I planted out karmazyn beans a good three to four weeks ago when they were well established. They are doing great. The only thing I did was cut a bean pole in half and staked one at each end of the run last week (?) when I saw the early morning temperature was going to dip to 1-2 degrees. I just threw a dust sheet over them. They were fine.

As Growster said, just do it. Get in there. The weather is good to go. Just keep an eye on early morning temperatures for your region, but if your beans are already well established, they should be fine.

I sowed some super aquadulce very late November last year and covered them. Forgot about them. Just an experiment for me to learn. When I finally took the covering off, they were a little limp and the slugs had started to have a nibble. Now they are shooting and flowering. Can't stop 'em.

As I said, I'm a noob at this too, and after hours of looking up and reading on various topics, I'm slowly realizing that the basic principles tend to be the same, but outside that... it's like the wild west: Go for it and have fun... your individual conditions and results may contradict most of what has been written on the topic. Just experiment and learn, report back; and have fun. :)

Hampshire Hog

Hi Hugh
It looks as though the risk of frost has past so you should be ok with French beans, runners and courgettes. I have put mine out here in Hampshire. My only proviso is to ensure you have a contingency in case of surprise cooler weather or winds.( Fleece or other materials, cloches etc.) Good Luck HH
Keep digging

Hugh

Hi Garrarufa and Hampshire Hog, Great advice and very encouraging. I just planted my courgettes out today and following your advice will do the same with my French beans tomorrow. I was just about to ask about these as well. Very helpful forum. I am very impressed. Cheers, Hugh

Growster...

Hi Garrarufa and Hampshire Hog, Great advice and very encouraging. I just planted my courgettes out today and following your advice will do the same with my French beans tomorrow. I was just about to ask about these as well. Very helpful forum. I am very impressed. Cheers, Hugh

When all those courgettes arrive, Hugh, there'll be about a squillion posts about what the heck we're going to do with them...

Be warned..;0)

xx
When to plant out runner beans?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 20:46
by washsaint
xx
when to plant the runner beans outside

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 22:37
by Yorkie
xx
runner beans,when to plant out?

Started by salmonking on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 16:37
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Where to plant runner beans (crop rotation)

Started by Hugh on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 18, 2021, 18:58
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 45 queries.