Twitch Grass

• 3 Replies

Jo-n-Neil

Twitch Grass
« on: February 03, 2008, 20:53 »
Hi does anyone have any good ideas for getting rid of twitch grass?

When we first had the allotment 3 years ago there was twitch grass in it, but the person that had it before rotivated it so you can guess it was rampant. We have tried weed killer, everything, the best thing really has been me crawling on hands and knees burrowing and pulling it out by hand. In three years we have cleared about half the plot but we still get the odd bits sprouting and the other half to go. Just wondered if anyone had any fool proof ways.

Thanks

Jo n Neil

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Twitch Grass
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 21:05 »
I use round up frequently ! every time it sticks it's head up it gets a little spray, just plain hard work I'm afraid, hoeing etc all helps, it's just a battle until it gives up.  :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
the dreaded twitch
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 21:24 »
well I took over a plot about 18 months ago and two of the strips where covered in it, after an initial attempt at hand/digging I succumbed to using Glyphosate which did the trick more or less, killed everything stone dead. A bit of twitch did pop up here and there but just gave hoed it off and I seem to be winning, the occasional hand spray on bit thats not near veg is done also.  Another point to remember is that you can isolate it by digging a trench 12 inches deep against cleared land as twitch grass roots only grow about 3 or 3" below ground level so if you go below this it cannot spread, this was gleaned from a book, but it seems to work.
Death OR Cake ???

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Twitch Grass
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 21:48 »
For Couch/twitch wait until you get around 4-6 leaves from the shoots and then spray with Roundup (if you are happy using this) during warm weather when weeds actively growing.  This means the couch will take up maxium RUP down into the rhizomes and yuo have a much better chance of killing it outright.If worried about drift onto nearby plants you can always paint on with a brush, painstaking but it will kill em in the end.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

xx
twitch roots

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 14:40
by Springlands
xx
How Long To Cover Twitch

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 17, 2014, 21:59
by Madame Cholet
xx
how long to drown twitch please?

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 01, 2011, 07:48
by Madame Cholet
xx
Grass

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 10, 2016, 20:01
by greenjay

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 28 queries.