Strawberry container

• 11 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Strawberry container
« on: January 16, 2008, 16:17 »
Can anyone think of any cheap pretty container to grow strawberries in ?
I live in London.

noshed

Strawberry container
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 16:19 »
All the pound shops have a wide range of plastic things, not all hideous
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Sally A

Strawberry container
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 17:10 »
I've seen them grown in those hanging flower pouches, don't know how long term that would be.

splodger

Strawberry container
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 17:19 »
i would give those terracotta "strawberry / herb" pots a miss - unless you can get hold on an antique one - the modern ones are ?rap

i grow some of my strawbs in an old half barrel - you can get them in many sizes - they do well in there - you could also go for a long slender trough type container - and the fruits can dangle over the sides -they look fab done like that as  they just scream - come and pick me  :lol:

Selkie

Strawberry container
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 17:46 »
I agree with Splodger, avoid those terracotta strawberry things = though they do make nice ornamental pots :wink:

Didn't you grow them in a tower before Londongardener?

gobs

Strawberry container
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 17:50 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
I've seen them grown in those hanging flower pouches, don't know how long term that would be.

They last all right, watering them effectively, however, is something I've never yet worked out. :?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Strawberry container
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 20:22 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
I agree with Splodger, avoid those terracotta strawberry things = though they do make nice ornamental pots :wink:

Didn't you grow them in a tower before Londongardener?

I do although I am happy with it is expensive.

I am thinking about a) my runners in loads of pots and b) my future runners from this year.

I want another alternative.  If I put them in the ground the slugs get them all.

Also I have plenty of patio space and not much ground space.

splodger

Strawberry container
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 20:56 »
in my half barrel of strawbs - - i put little pots of compost around the base - so when the baby runners reach - they have a nice little bed of their own to nustle up in - i feed and water and nurse them - coz they are sweet little babies - and they can sit in the pots - and still feed off mum - - and when they are old enough - i cut them off - seperate them from their mum and send them to the big strawberry orphanage i have set up down the lottie  :lol:

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Strawberry container
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 20:59 »
Quote from: "splodger"
in my half barrel of strawbs - - i put little pots of compost around the base - so when the baby runners reach - they have a nice little bed of their own to nustle up in - i feed and water and nurse them - coz they are sweet little babies - and they can sit in the pots - and still feed off mum - - and when they are old enough - i cut them off - seperate them from their mum and send them to the big strawberry orphanage i have set up down the lottie  :lol:

Where did you get the half barrel from ??

splodger

Strawberry container
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 21:21 »
Quote from: "londongardener"
Quote from: "splodger"

Where did you get the half barrel from ??

i used to deal in antiques - but always had antique pots and tubs for sale outside - i used to buy them in bulk - about £4 a time - but that's going back a bit

i have a top tip for you though - since i like your style - i'll pm you to let you know where to look  :wink:

Selkie

Strawberry container
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 21:23 »
:D Splodger gets the International Nice Person Award again :D

splodger

Strawberry container
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 21:31 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
:D Splodger gets the International Nice Person Award again :D

:oops:

you are too kind - rose - and you are tainting my naughty person imagine  :wink:

question
Strawberry container size

Started by Joe Hicks on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 24, 2021, 21:52
by Subversive_plot
xx
Container compost

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 12, 2009, 19:11
by celjaci
xx
Container mulching

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 18:28
by Yorkie
xx
Container growing

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 16, 2017, 17:44
by Robster

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 35 queries.