additional chickens

• 2 Replies

jackie

additional chickens
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:38 »
Hi, we have had 7 hens since september and they all mix well. We are thinking of geting some more, but in a different pen and run. If they were to get to each other in the garden would this be a problem

compostqueen

Re: additional chickens
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 12:41 »
I think if they're kept separate you should be ok and occasional meetings probably would go off ok. I think it's only when they're forced together in close proximity that things turn nasty.  My friend has loads of chickens and she's stopped trying to integrate them and keeps flocks separated

If there is a chance of their meeting when free ranging just keep your eye on things, so you're there if it does kick off

dizzylizzie

Re: additional chickens
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 19:28 »
ive introduced quite a few to my original ones and not really had a lot of trouble. First of all, it important to keep them seperate in case they have any nasties. If they havent been wormed and checked for crawlies, i worm and frontline them. I kee mine in the run beside the usual run. That way they can see each other, but not close enough to do any harm . Slowly over about 2 weeks, i move the food and water closer together in both runs, so eventually they end up eating side-by-side so to speak. They day im going to let them in the garden together, i make sure im around, i make sure i have everything on hand, i.e extra treats, a water pistol, purple spray,and just watch them. There will be scraps, its how they sort out the pecking order. They look nasty and it can take a few weeks. if something gets particulary nasty, i give a quick sqwirt wih a water pistol, but make sure they dont see you, and make sure its only a quick sqwirt. they probably will draw blood, one of mine used to jump on the backs of the others and pull their comb :( try not to intervene, because everytime you seperate them you are back to square one. Obviously, if it gets very bad , just break up the fight, and if you have 1 bully, seperate the bully for a while to take away her position in the pecking order. Its never easy, and its not nice to watch, good luck with them

xx
Advice on Additional Hens

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 11:33
by LittleRedHen
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 35 queries.