Grape vine

• 4 Replies

Hillbillypop

Grape vine
« on: May 24, 2010, 12:05 »
Hi
I am purchasing a grape vine for my greenhouse
I am on the west coast scotland temp in my greenhouse hits a max of 35 and min of as cold as it gets on average it sits at 20 how mutch ventillation should i give it for the vine and whats the best average temp also how should i care for it in winter as it hit minus8 this winter
Will

Babstreefern

Re: Grape vine
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 12:49 »
I've got a vine which is in my greenhouse.  I planted it at the back end (the opposite end to the door).  I planted it straight into the ground (its been in for two years now).  It came up last year with grapes (which I took off), and it lived through last winter (the temp had dropped to -15C) and it looks even better now with tons more grapes.  Don't feed it and don't water it, no matter how hot it is, in fact, just let it do its own thing.  The good thing about vines, they look after themselves.  The only time I ventilate my g/house is through the summer and thats for the cukes and other stuff I have in there.  In fact, over time, I should think my vine will shade everything in there :D
Babs

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 13:02 »
Grape vines are incredibly frost hardy. There might be some variation in tolerance related to variety but where I lived in the middle east, vinyards were common, and -35C was typical in winter. It's the short british summer that makes it hard for grapes to ripen here.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Hillbillypop

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 12:16 »
I've got a vine which is in my greenhouse.  I planted it at the back end (the opposite end to the door).  I planted it straight into the ground (its been in for two years now).  It came up last year with grapes (which I took off), and it lived through last winter (the temp had dropped to -15C) and it looks even better now with tons more grapes.  Don't feed it and don't water it, no matter how hot it is, in fact, just let it do its own thing.  The good thing about vines, they look after themselves.  The only time I ventilate my g/house is through the summer and thats for the cukes and other stuff I have in there.  In fact, over time, I should think my vine will shade everything in there :D
Many thanks everybody i didnt reilise it was so easy however there seems conflict in what you say
you say stickit in and let it do its own thing  the grape page say feed it and care for it or is it a case of suck and see and if there is a problem get back on here?
Will

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 19:40 »
My experience in Glasgow, not known for lack of rain except in early Summer, with my grapes in the greenhouse with the roots outside, required watering to prevent loss of leaves and tiny grapes. The plants are 3 years old, but I do not think that their roots have gone down far enough yet to resist drought. I shall be watering them shortly if our drought continues!!

xx
grape vine

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 20:03
by hightide
xx
Grape vine in a a pot

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 22:03
by TheModfather
clip
New grape vine

Started by Elmarto on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 07, 2015, 19:57
by Elmarto
xx
What to do with a grape vine?

Started by kel28 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 13:07
by kel28

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 35 queries.