Autumn bonus

• 2 Replies

Odders

Autumn bonus
« on: September 19, 2023, 00:35 »
Didn't get my new polytunnel up & sorted early enough to grow what I'd planned but thankfully still getting a decent harvest of tomatoes & bell peppers, though they're all green.
What HAS done amazingly well over the past 6 weeks are the climbing French beans (Cobra F1).
Off a dozen plants, I'm already at more than 8kg & currently picking close to 1kg every couple of days.
If these had been outside, I reckon today's hail would have done for them.
They have made it the 6' up to the support braces, then across more string to the ridge & are now off down the other side, with beans hanging down all over the place.
Good thing we all like French beans...

Blewit

• Experienced Member
Re: Autumn bonus
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 07:41 »
That's a good haul Odders. If you want to keep your tunnel in production over winter we find rocket and lettuce grow well (it's time to get the seeds started now). Growth slows right down but makes a welcome contribution to the table and picks up quickly as the days start to lengthen. Don't go for Winter Density though it's not cold hardy, Red Grenoble or similar is best and used for picking off outer leaves as you need them.
We also grow Red Kale. Again slow growth but it's ready as days lengthen and more tender than crops grown outside.

Odders

Re: Autumn bonus
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 00:26 »
That's a good haul Odders. If you want to keep your tunnel in production over winter we find rocket and lettuce grow well (it's time to get the seeds started now). Growth slows right down but makes a welcome contribution to the table and picks up quickly as the days start to lengthen. Don't go for Winter Density though it's not cold hardy, Red Grenoble or similar is best and used for picking off outer leaves as you need them.
We also grow Red Kale. Again slow growth but it's ready as days lengthen and more tender than crops grown outside.

I've rocket, mustard, coriander, Grenoble red & little gem lettuce, spring onions & spinach all coming on in cell trays & just took my home saved garlic bulbs out the fridge to split up & get them started at the weekend.
Wondering what else to try, especially as I also have an 8x6 greenhouse at home...

xx
Autumn onions

Started by sonnycbr on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 19:51
by Yorkie
xx
Autumn planting

Started by LILLILEAF on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2016, 08:54
by New shoot

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 41 queries.