Layers pellets

• 8 Replies

Holyfishcakes

Layers pellets
« on: September 10, 2011, 08:19 »
Hi guys chicken noob here. Apologies in advance if this has been asked before but... We've got 8 hens and I think they're great but I think I've been over feeding them. 8 hens need just over 1kg pellets a day according to my calculation, I've been putting  extra in to try to make sure they don't run out but every day they snaffle the lot up. (as well as a couple of handfuls of corn in the evening) my question is.. Should I put out the recommended amount of pellets? This seems a silly question now I've asked it but any advice would be great. :D

bantam novice

Re: Layers pellets
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 09:15 »
Welcome to the forum Holyfishcakes!
I am not an expert but my instinct is that hens know how much they need to eat and so long as you are not giving them too much in the way of other treats (the corn in the evening sounds ideal) I wouldn't change the amount of pellets.  Good luck and keep us posted  :D
By the way there is no such thing as a silly question in this forum and if you can post some pics of your hens we love to see them  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Holyfishcakes

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 09:36 »
Thanks for the reply! The reason I asked is because they're eating double the amount recommended at the moment. I don't want them to get fat as I believe this may affect their egg laying? Which by the way hasn't started yet, but it's only been a week so no rush.  ::)
Will post some pics when I can work out how to!
We have 2x black rock 2x speckledy 2x bluebells and 2 light sussex

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 11:17 »
hens will eat as much of the layers that they need - I just keep my feed bins topped up (no measuring) except for the day that they get washed and then I use a fresh feed bin. If you think they are getting fat cut out all treats but not the layers - they need the layers to get their sufficient protein, vitamins and minerals.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 13:34 »
Sounds a nice mixed flock Holyfishcakes. Looking forward to seeing some piks.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 14:21 »
Hmm sounds very odd.  1Kg should be more than ample for 8 grower pullets who shouldn't be eating more than 100 to 130 grams a day.  Something's not adding up here? 

Could you be measuring in pounds not KG or are you leaving the feeder out on the ground and the wild birds, mice or rats are helping themselves or possibly are they scratching it out.  Basically you feed chx ad lib as others have said which means they should have food constantly available so they can browse feed.  They eat according to need as others have said.  You shouldn't be ration feeding a small flock. 

Don't use a trough feeder use a sectioned hanging gravity hopper style such as http://www.regencypoultry.com/feeders/plasticfeeders/superFeeder.htm  they can't scratch these out so won't waste any.  Ensure the feeder is HANGING up at BACK height so it can't be fouled undercover to protect from rain, in the RUN not house where there is space around it so they don't knock against it and waste it.  NEVER mix feeds in the same hopper or they will pick out the least tasty to get at the rest wasting lots.
HF
Truth through science.

Holyfishcakes

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 15:08 »
Thanks for all the info, you guys rock! The feeder is a omlet grub type one. I've weighed my measurug jug and when full holds 750g of feed. I've been giving 2 and a half of these which works out close to 2 kg (but not quite) there not scratching out and I've not seen anything else feeding on it. I'll cut it down a bit I think and see how they go. I will also look to invest in anther feeder type. Cheers guys!

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 15:28 »
Thanks for all the info, you guys rock! The feeder is a omlet grub type one. I've weighed my measurug jug and when full holds 750g of feed. I've been giving 2 and a half of these which works out close to 2 kg (but not quite) there not scratching out and I've not seen anything else feeding on it. I'll cut it down a bit I think and see how they go. I will also look to invest in another feeder type. Cheers guys!

They should not be eating so much as that especially as they aren't laying yet and I'd seriously worry about what you are feeding them if as you say it's not being eaten by wild birds or explained in some other way.  Whose brand of pellets are you feeding?  If they have very low calorie count that might explain it.   If you are using a top brand of layers pellets such as Allen & Page, BOCM Farmgate, Spillers, Fancy Feeds or the like then I'd be at a loss to explain this but may be it's a no brand very low energy dense feed in which case switch brands gradually by mixing in another brand.
HF

Holyfishcakes

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 15:39 »
Can't remember the brand sorry will check when I get back. Thanks for your advice. It's all being taken on board.

xx
Layers pellets or other?

Started by Brambles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 16:04
by Brambles
xx
Layers Pellets

Started by puddin1107 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 19:56
by SUTTY1
xx
Which layers pellets?

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 21, 2011, 20:41
by ANHBUC
xx
layers pellets

Started by leveya on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 23:30
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 40 queries.