Cool Looking Home Made Greenhouse Ideas?

• 22 Replies

Stree

Re: Cool Looking Home Made Greenhouse Ideas?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 12:11 »
Handmade actually.........Very rustic. Pic? maybe take one today...
More summerhouse design than greenhouse. Most greenhouses look terrible, Might do the job  OK but aesthetically awful. So hence the timber summerhouse idea.
Maybe some WIPs as it goes along.......

Bombers

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 16:31 »
Just  completed the dwarf wall stage of my greenhouse project, Looks good. Handmade bricks circa 1820 reclaimed and cleaned........
Now for the timberwork.......
That sounds lovely Stree. Are you making up your own frame?
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Bombers

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 16:36 »

Stree

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 17:20 »
Yes, making up the frame as I go along. What prompted me was a pair of french doors going really cheap at the timber yard.......Those would be nice on a greenhouse I thought, and then got chance of the bricks, which will do for a conservatory and a greenhouse,,,,,,,,,,so then started buying treated timber every time I went to the timber yard..about once or twice  week.........Just doing it in my spare time.......Will have it done this year though.........
Ordering some auto vents from Ebay, getting glass look acrylic for glazing, winter heat will be ducted in from my workshop stove, same with power, Large rain butt along side so water piped in as well..Bit by bit.......

Bombers

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 17:46 »
Yes, making up the frame as I go along. What prompted me was a pair of french doors going really cheap at the timber yard.......Those would be nice on a greenhouse I thought, and then got chance of the bricks, which will do for a conservatory and a greenhouse,,,,,,,,,,so then started buying treated timber every time I went to the timber yard..about once or twice  week.........Just doing it in my spare time.......Will have it done this year though.........
Ordering some auto vents from Ebay, getting glass look acrylic for glazing, winter heat will be ducted in from my workshop stove, same with power, Large rain butt along side so water piped in as well..Bit by bit.......
Are you working to a plan? It's something that I have thought about for some time.  I have some reclaimed Hardwood planks (1 1/2" x 9" Sapele) sitting in my garage, and thought that these would be ideal 'raw' material for a homemade GH.I Haven't really looked for any plans yet though, (too busy sowing/planting). It would be great to see some pictures of your project though.

Stree

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 18:04 »
Sapele should bve fine, moderately durable but does not take preservative well.
Watch out for twisting and distortion when you rip it though, releases tensions  in the timber . Best cut it to length ( as per plan) before you rip it,
I am basing mine vaguely on some models I have seen, will see if I can get some pics sent. Mine is really only just started so not much to see, but I will take some pics.
BTW, how much sapele do you have? Unless you do woodwork you will be amazed how projects like this gobble materials up !

Bombers

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 18:13 »
Sapele should bve fine, moderately durable but does not take preservative well.
Watch out for twisting and distortion when you rip it though, releases tensions  in the timber . Best cut it to length ( as per plan) before you rip it,
I am basing mine vaguely on some models I have seen, will see if I can get some pics sent. Mine is really only just started so not much to see, but I will take some pics.
BTW, how much sapele do you have? Unless you do woodwork you will be amazed how projects like this gobble materials up !
You've hit the nail on the head there (pun intended) about 250ft (ripped down to 11/2" x 3".) ;)

Trillium

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 20:00 »
Back in the '70's pit greenhouses were hot, particularly with the solar energy craze back then and the fact that pit gh's are solar efficient. Think I still have a book or two on them hanging around here (probably in boxes I haven't opened in years but won't throw out  :blush:) Geodesics were also hot but a real headache to construct, and you really couldn't add to them if needed.

xx
Home made hot bed

Started by bravemurphy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2014, 13:04
by Goosegirl
xx
home made incubator mk2

Started by naturesparadise on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 20:52
by naturesparadise
xx
Home made cloches

Started by Kajazy on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 16:25
by Plot18
xx
Home Made Composter

Started by Riala on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 16:44
by Browser

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.