Home Made Composter

• 10 Replies

Riala

Home Made Composter
« on: September 02, 2008, 21:59 »
Any idea how to make your own compost bin?

I have seen them for sale at some large well know shops, but they are in the region of £30+

So I just wondered if there were any cheaper alternatives for my little rented paved garden?

noshed

Home Made Composter
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 22:12 »
Pallets are the usual option but for a small garden you could use 4 posts with netting wire and line it with newspaper/cardboard. About a cubic meter is the best size but you could get away with a bit smaller.
Also your council might do dalek bins cheap.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Home Made Composter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 22:13 »
Log on to your local councils website, ours does them for a fiver  :wink:

or check out http://www.recyclenow.com/compost/
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

orfy

• Experienced Member
Home Made Composter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 07:08 »
I just use 3 pallet and drive down large stakes in the gaps. When I want to move it I pull the stakes out.

No nails needed.

Riala

Home Made Composter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 08:35 »
Can some one take a picture of this 'pallet' composter please?

I only have a tiny paved garden, and I will be using all available space at the edge with my 2-tier and hopefully a 4-tier greenhouse so that my toddler still has room to play without losing any of his garden space.

compostqueen

Home Made Composter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 08:58 »
I made mine with four pallets to form a box. It helps if the pallets are all the same  :D   I only put a screw at each corner of the front pallet so I could take it off easily when it needed emptying.   The local business parks usually have loads of pallets they're willing to give away for free as they'd have to pay to have them taken away otherwise.

see this link for how they're put together  http://www.digitalseed.com/composter/bins/palletbin.html

good luck

I painted mine with Cuprinol paint in Lupine. Very naice  :D

Riala

Home Made Composter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 09:16 »
I wish I could get pallets, I would be able to make all sorts from pallets... Unfortunately I do not have a car, and I do not know anyone that drives.  :(

noshed

Home Made Composter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 14:03 »
A pallet job would be a bit big for your garden.

The neatest would be a council dalek bin - they usually do small ones. Here is a link to our council one, yours will have something similar: http://www.walthamforest.gov.uk/index/environment/rubbish-recycling/recycling/recycling-facilities/home-compost.htm
Here is Lincoln's: http://www.lincoln.gov.uk/Info_page_two_pic_2_det.asp?art_id=11331&sec_id=4212

Or why don't you just use bin bags? Make sure you stab some holes in it. Then just fill each one up with your peelings etc. When it's full, tie the top and leave it for a couple of months. I used to do that and it worked fine. Just make sure some air is getting in - give the bag a shake about from time to time, otherwise it will get slimy and stinky.
Use tough bin bags - Tesco value ones are a bit flimsy.

compostqueen

Home Made Composter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 15:41 »
I do that with leaves and make some right good leaf mould

I love those daleks but ours have gone up from £8 to £20 which was a bit of a blow. Glad I bought mine when they were cheap. Our council has removed the subsidy but yours may not have to it's worth checking  :D

If you do have a business park near you maybe someone will deliver. A guy near us used to get them delivered for the site then all we had to do was carry them from his plot. I managed one at a time, which was a bit of a trek, but it was for nowt so I wasn't complaining  :D

orfy

• Experienced Member
Home Made Composter
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 06:04 »
Quote from: "Riala"
Can some one take a picture of this 'pallet' composter please?

I only have a tiny paved garden, and I will be using all available space at the edge with my 2-tier and hopefully a 4-tier greenhouse so that my toddler still has room to play without losing any of his garden space.

Yes I will do.

If you use 4 Euro pallet stood up it only takes around 0.8m x 0.8m

Browser

• Experienced Member
Home Made Composter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 16:44 »
I needed a third composter for my allotment, so blagged an idea I'd seen on TV and got four old car tyres and stacked them one on top of the other, then filled them with compost-able material, and it works! I haven't even got a lid as yet and it still seems OK.
Try and get tyres from something fast and/or up-market as they are lower profile (the sides won't stick in towards the centre of your composter as much as those from, say, a 4x4) and wider, so they'll make your composter taller.
Try ringing some of the local garages and tyre fitters, 'til one says they'll give you some fer nowt. Whatever you do, don't pay for 'em!
Blimey! You mean you can *grow* things in soil?

xx
Home made hot bed

Started by bravemurphy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2014, 13:04
by Goosegirl
xx
Home-made polytunnel

Started by Pyrkie on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 12:57
by Pyrkie
xx
home made incubator mk2

Started by naturesparadise on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 20:52
by naturesparadise
xx
Home made cloches

Started by Kajazy on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 16:25
by Plot18

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 39 queries.