Melons

• 18 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Melons
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 07:10 »
We only got one melon this year - sweetheart type - and it was about 2.5 ins across...... then the plant dies and that was that.

Disappointing  :tongue2:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

BabbyAnn

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 09:05 »
For the first time I had successful germination and had 4 different varieties growing well.  Some in the greenhouse, some outdoors.  There were loads of flowers but sadly, not a single fruit  :(  As my cucumbers that normally do well have done badly this year too, I'm not going to be put off.  I WILL grow melons next year!

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 09:14 »
Hi Matt,

I too am going to try growing melons for the first time this year.  I've got two varieties to try - Honeydew and a funny sort I found on the real seeds website called "Minnesota Midget" (how can you not buy that?!).  From what I've read - melons like heat, so it would appear the greenhouse is the best option.  I'm not sure about how much they spread, etc, but I think some varieties can be trained to climb upwards?? perhaps one of the more experienced members on here can advise..

Good luck  ;)

I've grown that this year. How have yours done? I gave some seedlings to a friend to grow in a green house - they have two melons getting to the size of la tennis ball . I've grown out side on the patio and I have one the size of a golf ball.  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 10:03 »
For the first time I had successful germination and had 4 different varieties growing well.  Some in the greenhouse, some outdoors.  There were loads of flowers but sadly, not a single fruit  :(  As my cucumbers that normally do well have done badly this year too, I'm not going to be put off.  I WILL grow melons next year!

I grew 2 Sweetheart melon plants in my greenhouse; the one in a large planter on the staging produced 6 melons of varying sizes (smallest was cricket ball sized!), the one in a large growbag on the floor only one (5" across, 17" circumference, but I notice the skin is splitting now.  :ohmy:)

Apart from the less than ideal weather, pollination seems to be the main problem; there were lots of male flowers but only tiny amounts of pollen in each, so even hand-pollinating didn't always work.
At one point it looked as if I might have got 20 fruit on one plant but the plant itself seemed to know better and I think about 3 would have been a more realistic number to aim for to get them all to a good size before the plant died.

They are absolutely delicious though; really juicy, sweet, orange flesh with a wonderful flavour!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Melons

Started by Phoenix on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2006, 23:00
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Melons

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 07:43
by Wildeone
xx
Melons

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2007, 08:10
by WG.
xx
Melons

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 19, 2007, 21:05
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 29 queries.