Just had my first 'sextortion' email!

• 9 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Just had my first 'sextortion' email!
« on: November 14, 2021, 21:19 »
Gurgle mail have been pretty good up until now keeping my Gmail address safe from predators, but a few days ago I received an email alleging that my account and PC had been hacked and I'd been videoed doing something I wouldn't necessarily want the whole world to share.  :ohmy:
(Let's just say it's an activity that used to be regarded as not being good for one's eyesight!)

It's basically a blackmail attempt, and is becoming increasingly common - there are several things you can do, but most importantly don't reply, click on any attached links, or send any Bitcoins in an attempt to restore your reputation (even if guilty!  :ohmy: :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

Re: Just had my first 'sextortion' email!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 07:56 »
I got something like that a year or so ago, binned it, got another 'reminder', then they didn't bother any more!

I have noticed a rise in the number of spam messages though, sometimes seven or eight a day!

Christine

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 08:27 »
I'm using Thunderbird as a mail client because I have more than one email address - a private one and one for the allotment association. The latest version has an option to list spammers' email addresses and this seems to be working. The allotment association attracts many people wanting to use us as a way of transferring money from nefarious accounts to even more nefarious accounts in the name of the good lord.

In the old days such emails were added to the list of banned addresses when using just a Hotmail account. That stopped repeat offenders anyway.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 08:44 »
Gmail has a half-decent filter procedure, where you just put in a few of the words - usually offensive, and the emails are automatically deleted!

It's also useful on sites like LinkedIn, which is impossible to eradicate, even though I retired years ago! I still get strangers wanting to be in touch for building work mainly!

I'm sure the others like Thunderbird, Firefox etc., have something similar!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 10:18 »
I have noticed a rise in the number of spam messages though, sometimes seven or eight a day!

Until the one which is the subject of this thread, I was only getting spam emails from those companies I'd done business with but not bothered to get round to unsubscribing to.

That made it quite concerning, because for the first time it was clear that a complete stranger had obtained my gmail address (and potentially even more sensitive information too, particularly passwords.)

Apparently, with so many of us using our email addresses to access various online services, data breaches are quite commonplace - if the malicious spammer claims to know any of your passwords it is of course a very good idea to change it/them.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/ is a trusted website where you can check whether your email address account has been compromised (which usually means someone has obtained access to more than just your actual address.)

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 18:15 »

(Let's just say it's an activity that used to be regarded as not being good for one's eyesight!)

You have to remember to shut one eye.  ;)

wighty

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 20:25 »
I will admit to having to have confirmed what I thought was the answer. :nowink:

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 07:42 »
Of course, you could always pay them from your Nigerian Lottery winnings!

Just send them the account numbers you got just after the nice man from Lagos told you that you were a winner!

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 10:54 »
... or just make up an account number and details whilst maintaining the mien of a horrified person, i.e. what would the vicar, wife, local MP say if this came out?  :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 12:37 »
JayG, after reading your original post, I have a confession to make.

I need eyeglasses.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Outlook email tab

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post September 03, 2020, 08:09
by mumofstig
xx
Blasted email problem!

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post April 06, 2020, 15:52
by Growster...
xx
This sites email address ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2020, 16:40
by mumofstig
xx
Deleted email posts problem

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post August 09, 2020, 07:14
by Growster...

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 50 queries.