New bed - mistake.

• 17 Replies

Lardman

New bed - mistake.
« on: November 11, 2021, 08:51 »
Oh my aching back  :mad: 
Changed from a ancient king size pocket sprung to a modern mixed, spring and foam topped double. Terrible night, my feet hang off the end which was expected, but it feels like I'm continually sinking and it's so hot I chucked the duvet off. I've been thrashing about most of the night, is that normal for these types of beds or am I broken?   

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: New bed - mistake.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 09:06 »
Yes, you do sink into beds with a top memory foam layer, and you do sleep hot on them  ::)
I'm still not under a winter duvet. (I've got the one that has summer/autumn weights that snap together to make the winter weight one)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 11:46 »
Poor you Larders!

What make is it?

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 11:54 »
It's a constant sinking feeling rather than an initial one, very unpleasant and woke me up with a jolt several times. I've always bought mattresses on the firm side before as I used to sleep flat on my back.  I had one of those duvets but always ended up with me in the middle with nothing but cover and a duvet either side  ::)  I was only using the summer duvet (4.5T I think) as I'd read they were warmer than normal, but I'll be trying just a flat sheet tonight though  :lol:

<grumpy old man> grrrrr change.

What make is it?

Some no name clone thing from Amazon. The silent night stuff I ordered failed to be delivered. Don't ask -that was major hassle to sort out.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 13:02 »
We have a gel top mattress and think it is wonderful.  It’s like sleeping on a cloud that contours to your body and supports you at every point, no matter how you lay.  We use a 1 or 2 tog duvet in summer and a 2 or 3 tog duvet in winter with an occasional bed throw if it’s very cold.   Most comfortable mattress we have ever had !

AndyRVTR

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 14:02 »
2 or 3 tog for the Winter!!! I have a 13.5 tog during the summer and chuck another 13.5 tog one on for the Winter!!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 16:09 »
By coincidence, we've been looking out for a new one recently, and are wondering about reverting to Dunlopillo, which we had years ago and lasted ages...

Just been into Furniture Land in T.Wells, but they have so many there, and just one we like, but at the wrong price (not in a sale)...

As there seems to be a sale going on all the time everywhere, I'll do a bit more research now!

(Like the idea of a gel-top Aunty, so may have to go back and have a shufti at one, then report to Mrs Growster)!

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 16:43 »
Ours is a memory foam & I find it incredibly warm, which is not good for ladies of a certain age  :mad:. I’m seriously considering changing my one as they’re 2 singles side by side to make a super king size (emperor?)
As for quilts we’ve just replaced the goose down with wool & it’s much heavier & more solid!
Tbf Lards, it does take a few weeks to adjust to a new mattress/bed I find
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 17:54 »
Many years ago I invested in a bed made by the company whose springs have six turns in them, hence the company name,  all individually pocketed, and lots and lots of them!  The mattress is almost impossible to turn without help, but I haven't turned ours for ages now, and it's still fine. The problem is they are very, very expensive, but I couldn't contemplate buying any other kind of bed. Fifteen years later it is still perfectly comfortable, but I dread the day when we need to change it.  I'd better start saving up now.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 22:11 »
2 or 3 tog for the Winter!!! I have a 13.5 tog during the summer and chuck another 13.5 tog one on for the Winter!!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have a very warm bungalow  :)   The thickest duvet we’ve ever used was 4.5 

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 05:48 »
Many years ago I invested in a bed made by the company whose springs have six turns in them, hence the company name,  all individually pocketed, and lots and lots of them!  The mattress is almost impossible to turn without help, but I haven't turned ours for ages now, and it's still fine. The problem is they are very, very expensive, but I couldn't contemplate buying any other kind of bed. Fifteen years later it is still perfectly comfortable, but I dread the day when we need to change it.  I'd better start saving up now.

We bought a king one a couple of years back (a store return via auction site otherwise we couldn't have afforded).  Getting it upstairs, round two dog leg turns on my own was no fun.  Not only are they ridiculously heavy, they are almost rigid due to the amount of stuffing in them. Ex council houses were not built for posh mattresses.

Ours doesn't get turned so often either..

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2021, 07:25 »
If you don't want to pay £45.00 for removal of the old one, I managed to fold up the old mattress, tie it with very strong rope and it just fitted into the back of the VW Golf with the seats down!

They have a huge tip for mattresses in T.Wells, and the last time I saw it, it was having a reunion with a few hundred of its mates, forty ft down a huge pit...

(But there's still one in the hedge on the A21)!

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2021, 08:47 »

We bought a king one a couple of years back (a store return via auction site otherwise we couldn't have afforded).  Getting it upstairs, round two dog leg turns on my own was no fun.  Not only are they ridiculously heavy, they are almost rigid due to the amount of stuffing in them. Ex council houses were not built for posh mattresses.

Ours doesn't get turned so often either..

:lol: :lol: that reminds me of a carpet we bought, we just couldn’t get it round the corner at the top of the stairs in our small semi. So hubby said he’d push it up through the bedroom window I’d hang on to it, then he’d put the line prop under it then I’d run down stairs, hold the line prop, & he’d pull it through the window. Yep that worked, we fitted said carpet, then brother in law turned up, we were by this time exhausted on the new carpet, & he said....why didn’t you take the cardboard roll out first ! Doh even when we’d taken the roll out & chucked it back through the window it didn’t dawn on us  :lol: :lol: :lol:

That’s what I like about having 2 single mattresses they’re easier to handle although you don’t turn memory foam ones ours said
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 08:48 by snowdrops »

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2021, 12:18 »
We got a new mattress about three years ago from Lancaster Bed Company. What the chap didn't know about beds was not worth knowing and he was so helpful when we asked about various things including being somewhat arthritic etc. With his assistance we tried out most of the beds in the store then made our decision. It wasn't cheap even though they had a sale but well worth it. I do turn it top to tail about every three months by sliding the bottom end over one side using the fabric handles, pulling the top end down so the mattress is across the middle of the bed, tugging the bottom of the mattress up to the top, then I have a rest to get my breath back! I believe it's really important to try different ones out first before buying.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jaydig

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 13:48 »
I have to turn ours in the same way as you do, Goosegirl.  The biggest problem arises when the mattress not only needs to be rotated, but also to be turned over.  The first time I tried this on my own it took me ages to first of all rotate it to the halfway point, then to try to get it onto its edge in order to turn it over. Result - mattress 1, me 0!! I ended up on the floor under the mattress and pinned between the bed and the wall. Husband was oblivious to my shouts for help but in the end I saw the funny side of it and just lay in a heap laughing myself silly.  He did, eventually, hear me and helped me to extricate myself.

xx
Todays Mistake !

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post July 25, 2018, 11:42
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 54 queries.