Rhubarb, rhubarb!

• 2 Replies

bikerjohn

Rhubarb, rhubarb!
« on: June 30, 2007, 20:58 »
Hi,

Calling rhubarb experts!  I have had two types of rhubarb before, one is Timperley Early, which I was not too happy with, as it turned out quite thin and spindly.  The other was a later variety, with much thicker stems, and quite prolific through the summer.  Any ideas as to what variety the latter one was please?  Any recommendations as to a thick stemmed summer variety would be welcome also.

Many thanks, John.  (Rhubarb to you too. :D )
Things is not as they used to was before they is as they am now, so why wallop yon horse with parachute?

Bobby T

Rhubarb, rhubarb!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 21:46 »
Timperlerly Early originated and is still grown commercially in the Cheshire area and is anything but spindly.Perhaps it does not like local soil.I would move it to fresh area on plot this Autumn well dug with compost and manure.You could try scrounging a couple of crowns of a lottie neighbour with good plants but you should give it 18 months to get established.
Victoria also had a good rep around here.The rhubarb that is. :lol: Bob

bikerjohn

Rhubarb, rhubarb!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 22:35 »
I think you are probably right about local conditions, the soil was quite heavy clay.  The Timperly and the later variety were both fed with manure during the winter, yet, whilst the later one did well, the Timperley didn't.

We have now moved and just taken on the allotment, and the soil is lighter, but  with a smaller amount of clay.

Many thanks,  John.

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Rhubarb

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 08:56
by Robster
clip
Rhubarb

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 22, 2014, 22:04
by snowdrops
xx
Rhubarb (again)

Started by digger1957 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 15:32
by Ice

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 28 queries.