What have you planted already????

• 37 Replies

Tommy54321

What have you planted already????
« on: March 07, 2021, 17:28 »
Hello,
I would be interested to hear what seeds people have already planted in their allotments now, and whether they have gone straight into the ground or planted first in a tray and planted out. I currently have just planted some young Radish seedlings from a module tray, don't think they will do a good job as they seem to of just flopped over, but I suppose we will see how they go. I have put some fleece over the top to protect them. I have some lettuce, onions, and peas in modules that I'm thinking of planting out, just don't really know when. I walked past someone elses plot and I think they have sown straight into the ground, which made me think should I just go and seed directly and just beware of any frost and protect when needed....which lead me to ask the question, What is everyone else doing when it comes to planting? are you sowing directly into the ground etc?? would be good to hear, and take some pointers.  I'm a complete amateur, and I'm in the south of the Uk so I understand everyone has different weather but would be interesting to hear.
Thanks

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
Re: What have you planted already????
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 18:55 »
Prepare to get lots of different answers!  :lol: :lol:

It's still very early in the season so no rush.

I have a token tray of onions (from seed) and some tenders under grow lights in our utility. Chillies, peppers and aubergines which will go into my new polytunnel so still a bit of an experiment in terms of timings but these do need a long growing season.

I do a very small early sowing of tomatoes that I mollycoddle but my proper sowing for these is at the end of this month for outdoor ones.

I sow mainly in modules and do very little direct sowing as that works better for me. The plants have a head start over the weeds once they get planted out and I have enough outdoor space at home to do this. I also find this an easier way to carry out successional sowing.

My real sowing season starts towards the end of this month and picks up through April into May.

If you look at the Gardeners' diary section you can get an idea what people are sowing and when. Take a note of their location as the sunny south is normally a couple of weeks ahead of us in the Midlands.

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 19:40 »
I’ve just planted out some lettuce and pointed cabbage under cloches, won’t be sowing much until April outside unless it warms up a fair bit. Just thinking about planting some early spuds in containers.

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 19:54 »
I'm in county Durham so a bit colder than down south as yet I've planted nothing outside. I find i now start more seeds in modules or trays and pots and plant out later when the hard frosts are behind us. Even then anything delicate goes under fleece. I find i get less pest damage and weed competition this way.
All of what I have sown is either in the heated greenhouse or polly tunnel nice and snug :)

Debz

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 12:02 »
In Glasgow - Tomato and peppers on the kitchen window sill and the garlic that I planted at the plot in November is growing slowly.  Too cold to plant anything else for me at the moment.  I do have potato tubers, onion and shallot sets and loads of seeds sitting waiting to go in but it will be the end of this month, start of April before I plant anything else.

al78

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 12:10 »
I sowed carrots in the greenhouse about a month ago and I have first early potatoes in bags in there planted about two weeks ago. The carrot seedlings have now emerged, and I will make a second sowing this coming weekend.

I have sown leeks and some brassicas in module trays indoors. Some of those brassicas have grown quite fast, and they are almost ready to be potted on.

Tommy54321

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 14:05 »
yeah that was my issue they are growing too quickly which makes me feel like i should plant them out.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 14:17 »
Tomatoes and peppers recently sowed in the heated propagator.
Some onion seedlings (were sown earlier in the year) are on the table in front to the window, as I have no sills.
Yesterday I sowed a few Hispi cabbage seeds, hopefully for an early crop, also on the table.

Must remember to put together the wire shelves that go in the greenhouse, ready for when it gets a bit warmer, and the seedlings can go outside during the day ....

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 09:12 »
Direct-sown outdoors, late fall to winter, and over-wintered: Brussels sprouts, turnips, radishes, spinach, romaine lettuce, bibb lettuce. Peas (snow peas, sugar snap peas) are chitted before planting in the ground, but some fill-in sugar snaps were planted indoors, and now are growing outside. Scallions were planted just a couple weeks ago outdoors, and are now sprouting.

Tomatoes (Roma, Better Boy, Gardener's Delight), Jalapeno and eggplant (aubergines) are planted indoors, and won't go in the ground outdoors until April or May.

My conditions may differ from yours, I live in hardiness zone 8.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 16:18 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

jaxter

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 11:08 »
Onions on plot, garlic went in December, pots chitting at home where I’ll sow toms, chillies, peppers and cucumber over the next week. Still getting frost here, so I’ll wait.

al78

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 11:26 »
Direct-sown outdoors, late fall to winter, and over-wintered: Brussels sprouts, turnips, radishes, spinach, romaine lettuce, bibb lettuce. Peas (snow peas, sugar snap peas) are chitted before planting in the ground, but some fill-in sugar snaps were planted indoors, and now are growing outside. Scallions were planted just a couple weeks ago outdoors, and are now sprouting.

Tomatoes (Roma, Better Boy, Gardener's Delight), Jalape񯳬 and eggplant (aubergines) are planted indoors, and won't go in the ground outdoors until April or May.

I'm guessing in Georgia, you could grow UK veg all year round, although you might be vulnerable to occasional freezing conditions when Arctic air moves south, like what happened recently in Texas. Looking at a climate table for Atlanta, the January average high (the coolest month) is about equivalent to April in London. Summer average high is equivalent to a heatwave in southern England.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 12:19 »
These lettuce in my photo have been growing in my cold greenhouse in soil blocks which I'm using for the first time, did lettuce just to see if it worked ok. They are about 4 weeks old, but not sure if I can plant them out this size or wait longer, any advice please....wait or plant out?. I'm succession sowing as I had too many at once last year!
IMG_20210308_131934526_HDR.jpg

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 16:14 »
bobbyt, I would plant those out :)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 16:45 »

Tomatoes (Roma, Better Boy, Gardener's Delight), Jalape񯳬 and eggplant (aubergines) are planted indoors, and won't go in the ground outdoors until April or May.

I'm guessing in Georgia, you could grow UK veg all year round, although you might be vulnerable to occasional freezing conditions when Arctic air moves south, like what happened recently in Texas. Looking at a climate table for Atlanta, the January average high (the coolest month) is about equivalent to April in London. Summer average high is equivalent to a heatwave in southern England.

For average conditions, you are quite right!  But, we are also subjected to big swings in temperature, and especially in winter and spring, unpredictable freezes and snow.  Historically, many of our memorable snow storms have come in March.  Like Texas, we get those big polar vortex style cold storms.  I remember a  minus 14 C cold front going through Atlanta in winter in the late 1980s or early 1990s.  We also had a spring cold snap (5 years ago maybe?) that killed all the new spring leaves on our deciduous trees (late March or April).

So, I plant, hoping that the weather is no worse than usual most years.  Sometimes stuff dies, and I need to re-plant.  This year, so far, so good.

Here's hoping the weather treats you kindly this year!

rowlandwells

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2021, 19:06 »
we do much the same as Potty Plotty Lotty mainly all our veg seeds are started of in the greenhouse or bench grown before planting out in  the allotment we have just started sowings and there's a plenty more sowings to come

seeds sown to date  cabbage cauliflower broad beans spring onions lettuce tomatoes haven't started on the flower seed yet

xx
what can be planted now?

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 21:12
by RosieMay
xx
What has everyone planted?

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 21:00
by sammie261989
xx
What can be planted out.....

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 09:47
by sazzy123
xx
Planted out veg

Started by Bec1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2021, 10:55
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 55 queries.