limp cucumbers......!

• 2 Replies

topsy

limp cucumbers......!
« on: May 17, 2009, 16:51 »
have grown from seed, in consevatory and now they are outside in grow bags - from only yesterday .....have put canes in and tied then to them...........but they seem limp and a couple of leaves a bit browny.....been watered well and loved like my own offspring.....now worried they are dying and dont know what it could be...................

tomatoes seem to be OK but peppers are a bit smaller than had hoped.....................beetroot....well dont even go there...............!!!!
if i plant it, will it grow ?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: limp cucumbers......!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 16:56 »
Even in the balmy southern climes of Eastbourne, it really is a bit too cold for cucumbers to be out by themselves at night!

Did you put them straight out, or harden them off first? I suspect they've had a bad shock from which they may not recover.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Stripey_cat

Re: limp cucumbers......!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 00:43 »
They get stem rots very easily, so if you leave them too wet, that can cause problems (although possibly not overnight).  You can get round this by making a hummock of soil, the size of a smallish molehill, and planting into the top, so the soil near the stem stays fairly dry but the roots can run into the damper soil underneath.  If it won't stay on the grow-bag, cut a ring out of a plastic bottle about four inches deep, and put the extra soil and the plant into that, wedged into the top of the hole in the growbag.  I think you might need to start over if you have seed left, and this time be a bit more gentle about putting them out, too - if you're chilly outside in just a shirt, bearing in mind windchill, it's on the cold side for them, so protect them with a cloche and/or a windbreak even after you've hardened them off.

xx
PSB looking a bit limp

Started by Doddy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 15:06
by Salmo
xx
Limp Basil

Started by Foxy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 09:07
by sunshineband
xx
Shoots going 'limp'

Started by utigers on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 14:07
by utigers
xx
Limp beetroot

Started by hightide on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 17, 2010, 18:48
by Aidy

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 38 queries.