Moult length of time

• 7 Replies

Raven81

Moult length of time
« on: May 15, 2012, 11:23 »
I have a question that I really should know the answer to after all the research I've done.   Can any of you lovely and knowledgeable people tell me roughly long a moult should last?   :unsure:

I have warren hens that are just over a year old so this is their first moult and they seem to have been moulting for months now and all have naked chests or bottoms.

The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Anndee

• Experienced Member
Re: Moult length of time
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 11:52 »
Sorry Raven81 but can I just join in on your tag.
 I'm wondering when they actually begin to moult and like you how long does it last and do they need any supplements whilst they are moulting.
My bantams are about 1 year old now and have never had a moult yet and don't even look like they are starting to.
anndee

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 19:32 »
Hi does anyone have any answers for us??
Ta

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 23:30 »

Raven81

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:32 »
Thanks, all of ours seem to have started moulting from their chests first.  They are not scratching and I haven't seen any mites or fleas or anything.  :ohmy:

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 09:08 »
Mostly they moult in the autumn but some do moult in the Spring and at all times in between. You can support them with a general supplement such as poultry spice if you wish and some people give them a fishy cat/kitten food. I generally just make sure they have ad lib layers pellets as always. It really depends on how free ranging your chooks are in order that they can supplement themselves. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 09:21 »
In their first year they will go through several partial moults - some may be so slight that you will not notice them happening. Usually when they come to their second winter they will have a bigger moult starting anytime from September through to March and this will be repeated most winters. When they go into a full moult some will look like they are oven ready but others will do it in stages so will retain a feather covering over most of their body. However all birds are individuals and can moult at any time. Their moult can also last different lengths of time. So really there is no answer to the original question - each bird will do it's own thing in it's own time  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Raven81

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 11:23 »
Thank you, that has put my mind at rest :D.  They have layers pellets down all day so can have them whenever they need.  They do not have many treats as I know the layers pellets are thing they need.

xx
length of time a Broody will sit

Started by blodwen on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 04:00
by hillfooter
xx
Point of lay, is this normal - length of time to lay an egg ?

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 17:16
by anitaws
xx
beak length

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 10:22
by rachelr
xx
length of run for two ducks???

Started by daveinmanc on The Hen House

37 Replies
Last post November 28, 2007, 00:31
by paddy

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 40 queries.