paths on allotment

• 15 Replies

titch

paths on allotment
« on: March 01, 2009, 23:15 »
our plot is new, all soil, and we need to lay paths, 2 of them, 1 ft wide up each side.  We have access to wood chip (free - bonus :D) from our lovely local community composting site.

how shoudl i lay this - stright on to the soil, use a weed supressing membrane under or what?
how deep should it be?

your thoughts please  :)
just keep breathing................

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
Re: paths on allotment
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 23:49 »
If you are ok with using weed killer, give it a good dose of that then put a membrane down. Seeds can lay dormant in the soil for years so a membrane would be a good idea. As for the depth, a couple of inch's should be ok or less if you prefer. Wood chip will brake down in time so a steady supply would be good.
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 05:58 »
The membrane is a good idea, not only prevents the weeds growing through but stops the wood-chip sinking into the soil
Edging with wood is best to stop the woodchip spreading - but if the path is only 1ft wide? You could dig out some soil first especially if you have any raised beds to fill.
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

lacewing

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 06:44 »
Unless you have very small feet, 1ft seems a bit narrow.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 06:56 »
Im going to use wood chip as i can get loads i have chipper and woodland hahahahha.
Thanks
Kris

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 08:32 »
i used woodchips in some boarders in my garden, it looked lovely until the blackbirds threw it all over the lawn.  would that not happen on the plot :wub:

titch

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 20:43 »
Thanks for the replies - i think we will go for membrane then wood chip, and in the future maybe we can do something more permanant, as the chip is free seems silly not to take advantage. ;)
not sure about the weedkiller tho, as 1ft away is the neighbours plot, and we have already been told to be v careful. :unsure:
I have tiny feet ,  :lol: :lol: :lol: (size three hee hee) but the paths are 1 ft of each plot so technically 2 ft wide and hoping i have good nieghbours (do on one side, will hve to check the other side too)
i might make one of them 2ft wide, will see when we get up there :mellow:
not doing raised beds, at least for now, but the dug out soil will come handy for earthing up the large amount of seed spuds i have  :blink: :blink:

Babstreefern

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 21:09 »
It may sound nice, but one problem I had when I laid down chippings, is that when its muddy and you invariably walk on the soil and you end up with very muddy shoes, the minute you walk on your chippings or whatever, it sticks to your boots and makes a bit of a mess.  What I started doing is laying flags down the middle (with the membrane underneath), and also use scaffolding planks so you can manouver them about, and use them so that you can walk amongst the growth without getting really muddy 8)
Babs

titch

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 21:22 »
like that idea, will have to keep eyes open for scaffolding  :lol: :lol: :lol:
hadnt thgouth about the transfer of it tho  :blink:

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 00:09 »
"You cannot grow anything on a path" is what I was told when I asked the same question.

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 00:14 »
Ive started to set grass paths up each side of my plot and a path up the middle. Splits my plot into two long strips. Set them just wide enough to get the rotorvator up each side and the middle. Only thing with grass is the mowing, but its very close to the house. If not you could get a cheap petrol lawn mower, or free on freecycle.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 08:31 »
"You cannot grow anything on a path" is what I was told when I asked the same question.

Exactly. My plot is one big open plot with zero paths, well except the one between us and next door. Tis great with no paths as I can rotovate the whole plot without paths getting in the way. I wear boots when on the plot so why would I need a path? :D

wengren

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 09:26 »
when we took over our allotment we made the paths as we dug over the ground .we have lovely wide grass paths now. as you dig the grass ,soil and small weeds out of your ground use this to make up the paths. the paths were higher then the ground when we had finished but they soon go down over time.the weeds will go if you keep mowing the grass. whatever you use for you path make sure its not to low as all your get is a river when it rains.we have 3 allotment made into 9 big beds with grass paths round them.
wendy grenville

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 18:29 »
I wear boots when on the plot so why would I need a path? :D
slight subject drift here but one reason I have paths is to define the bits to be walked on, avoiding compaction of the growing beds ( now noticeably easier to dig - may give up digging some time soon )  Another reason I have permanent paths is to reduce the ammount of work - once the paths are laid I don't have to hoe or dig this area

Babstreefern

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 19:07 »
Going back to my earlier message, I have one path only down the middle of my plot.  The other "paths" are the planks.  The paths don't have to be that wide (as wide or as narrow as you like).  You can even lay paths in a cross so that you have 4 areas of planting and this is easier for crop rotation. ::)

xx
Paths on the allotment

Started by jameshuk on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 12:01
by compostqueen
xx
Bark paths on allotment

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2017, 23:09
by JimB
xx
surface for allotment paths

Started by tinshed on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 15:05
by ted_woodley
xx
Best type of allotment paths?

Started by lizw on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 30, 2006, 20:14
by Heather_S

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 38 queries.