Need some ideas please :)

• 7 Replies

Casey76

Need some ideas please :)
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:40 »
Front and back gardens are almost sorted out now, or at least I have plans, have marked out grass areas etc.

Now I have the problem of the veggie patch/chicken run as I have no idea what to do with it.

The area in the photo is about 15m x 25m.

The sleepers were already there when I moved in, but I was wondering if I should dig them up and start with a clean slate.

The area is probably the most "worked" of my garden, as it has been used for growing veg (not too successfully) and is highly fertilised (by the ex-chickens).  Last year it sported a wonderful crop of 8ft tall nettles, all of which have been dug out now.

I did have one idea of digging up the sleepers, rotavating the whole lot and just leaving it fallow until next year when I'll have more time to plan what to do with it.  If I keep it rotavated, this will hopefully kill off any remaining weeds.  But then again, it seems a shame to leave such a big space doing nothing.

fluffstermum

Re: Need some ideas please :)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 10:56 »
That is an amazing space!
You could have a lot of fun with that.

I would definitely mark out an area for pretty flowers, and have a little wildlife area with bug houses and bee boxes etc.

I'd leave some big open spaces for rows of fabulous veggies, and also have a few raised beds to make it a bit more manageable (I like doing little squares at a time as it feels like I've 'completed' something then!).

Right at the back I'd like to plant a few fruit trees.

Oooh I'd put one of those little garden huts in a corner, those cute little conservatory things where you just sit and relax.

Sorry, I'm dreaming  :D 

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 14:11 »
Thanks for that fluffstermum :)

I think I'm looking for something a little simpler though.  I already have the front garden for my flowers, my terrace to relax on, and a few fruit trees which I inherited with the house.  When you have a garden like this (and it is almost 500m2 all told) it is really far too much for me to handle by myself.

In summer it is easier, with the longer days, I can spend more time pottering, but during the winter it is really difficult.

In a dream world I would really love to have a fully functional veggie garden, but after a few false starts it is patently obvious I don't really know what I'm doing. :(  I love unusual colour tomatoes, but I haven't been able to harvest a single one in 5 years due to blight.

Though the last time I had a serious attempt at growing veggies, I also had chickens, and chickens and seedlings just don't go well together!

the one thing I know I would definitely like are raspberries... except I have no idea where to plant them!

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 14:24 »
i would say to divide the area into 3 or 4 equally sized patches, doesn't have to be separated by a fence or sleepers. this way it's a lot easier to crop rotate.

if your looking for low maintenance for this year at least i would try veg that takes a long time to mature and that don't need regular watering. potatoes, marrow/ courgette, sweetcorn, carrots, parsnip, etc.

if you can use mulch or weed suppressant then it will be very low maintenance, next year you can decide how much time you have and what you want from the patch.

Mum2mj

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 14:56 »
Have you considered the land share thing (can't remember the proper name) where you would let that bit to someone who wants to grow veg & you can share some of the harvest?

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 15:48 »
Hi Mum2mj, I'm in rural France, we all have plenty of space to grow stuff ;)  It's actually nice to see different people's take on the veggie garden as you walk around the village.

I think I've decided to dig up the sleepers and the paving stones (and move the coops to the side of the house out of the way) and just see how big a space it actualy is.

I know I need to cut back the hedging along the back fence as well to get a proper idea.

I have a day off on Monday, and the forecast is good, so hopefully I'll be all day in the garden :)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 18:34 »
Love Alsace.  Alsace tart. mmmm.  went to a wedding there once and stayed with a family.  They had a great veggie garden, toms and salads I especially remember.
Are the chickens free ranging inside there?

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 20:05 »
Not any more :(

I can't get the bio security high enough to prevent predation, and it got too heart breaking (and expensive) to keep replacing my stock.

xx
Ideas please

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 17:32
by daisy1990
xx
ideas please!

Started by fisher on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 12:25
by fisher
xx
Any ideas?

Started by mclarkuk1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 15:59
by Trillium
xx
Ideas Please

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2013, 12:21
by Tom Hill

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 39 queries.