Which tree?

• 10 Replies

milan

Which tree?
« on: December 16, 2009, 14:22 »
hubby and i have found that we need to remove two trees in our garden so we have had a company round to investigate removal and replacements, we are looking at a magnolia grandiflora - (anyone have one? any piccies?) and also either a Liquidambar styraciflua worplesdon OR Amelanchier Lamarckii (anyone have one? any piccies?)

we want the magnolia because it will be evergreen, the other two are deciduous but we arent quite sure which one to choose - to start with we went with the amelanchier but now we are thinking it might be too multistemmed and shrubby....

just wondering whether anyone else has any of these trees?

thanks  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Which tree?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 18:08 »
Magnolia don't like being caught by early morning sun, so won't be overly happy if that is the position it will be in in the garden.

Don't have any piccies but google images will do.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 20:04 »
Liquidambar is a big tree (will grow to 60' ??) whereas the Amelanchier is smaller - 30' perhaps?

Dunno if space is important - but if it is that might be the deciding factor :)

gillie

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 20:48 »
I suspect that Magnolia Grandiflora does not flower much until it has grown quite big.

Since you are in Surrey, why not go to Wisley and have a look at the trees on your short list?  I bet they have all three and you can ask the staff where they are planted.

You can find pics of just about any garden tree or shrub by googling the name.

Cheers,

Gillie

big green bloke

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 08:34 »
have you ever getting a tree that will give some thing back to you like a fruit or nut tree some have very nice bark that looks wonderful  in winter and autumn
remember plants can't read books

milan

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 10:10 »
all - thanks for the help  :)

we had thought about wisley but im struggling to walk very far at the moment :dry:

i have googled images but they arent really very good! mostly 'professional gardening websites/nurserys' nothing really for what i would call 'real' or not enough of them to know thats how they really grow!

we had a look at our garden yesterday (in the dark!) and concluded that as long as we keep the luquidambar under control it will probably be a better fit, a single trunk rather than multistemmed as its actually got to be planted in a border beside a 6 foot fence!

(we did think about fruit trees but that will hopefully come later)

big green bloke

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 13:56 »
if you get fruit trees you can train them along the fence that way the do not take up a lot of room so good luck for the future

madcat

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 14:13 »
magnolia grandiflora is a big tree and it takes a long while to flower ... plus one touch of frost and you lose the flowers for the year.  Have you thought about a magnolia stellata?  Smaller and less sensitive, also can be pink flowered I think.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

SG6

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 18:39 »
Liquidambar produces good autumn colour, one of the best, but it needs an acid soil in which to grow to do so.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 20:07 »
Liquidamber might grow big but the leaves smell divine -- the fresh ones are like balsam, and those on the ground smell more like caramel. Gorgeous autumn colours too, or gold and red  :) :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

GilbertJessop

• Habitat Aid's Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 10:34 »
...but then with Amelanchier you get the flowers in Spring...We couldn't find a decent picture of it either, by the way, but from what you've said the spread would be too much for the site anyway...

xx
What is this tree?

Started by myfanwe on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 02:54
by Lindeggs
clip
what is this tree?

Started by andyf75 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2013, 11:02
by andyf75
xx
Tree id, anybody?

Started by Annen on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 17:51
by Annen
clip
Tree

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2021, 08:44
by johnjsdb

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 38 queries.