Recipes for squash?

• 9 Replies

yewtreemob

Recipes for squash?
« on: January 27, 2006, 12:15 »
Last year was my first attempt at growing squash and we have 2 -3 kg of small ones that are in danger of going on the compost heap if I don't find a recipe for them soon!  Any offers or links?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Recipes for squash?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 12:31 »
My butternut squash recipe is in the recipes section along with Granny D's butternut squash soup. You can just cut in half, scoop any seeds out, and add salt and pepper and butter. Wrap in silver foil and roast.

By the way, the site is well indexed by Mr Google so a search for 'recipe squash' will bring up the links. From the google search box - not the forum search box which just searches the forums.

As you may have read, I grew some really nice squash last year but they were nicked! This year they will be surrounded by man traps, deep pits with sharpened stakes and minefields.  :D
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

yewtreemob

Recipes for squash?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 11:20 »
Thanks for that - will try the soup this week.

Sorry yours got nicked- Nantwich must be a very strange place!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Recipes for squash?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 12:57 »
We think it was kids that got onto the site and pinched them. They had some pumpkins off other plots and tried to carry away my two big pumpkins. They were too big for them - hahahaha

But my lovely squash and marrows were gone. The marrows were smashed up on the other side of the fence.

I'm afraid that vandalism and theft from allotments is pretty rife. When you get a site that is half empty it gets worse because there are less people about to keep an eye out and so the ones left get disheartened and the downward spiral takes hold.

Councils and police generally fail to take the problem seriously.  :evil:

We're pretty trouble free as these things go, thank goodness. I didn't report it to the police - what's the point? Value of goods being less than a tenner it's hardly going to attract the serious crime squad.

yewtreemob

SOS (save our squashes)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 18:18 »
I don't have a security problem with the veg plot (own garden in very quiet village) but I was just reading an article on a techie US site about a guy who builds LINUX servers in domestic toasters - minus the elements of course!

This got me thinking............you  need to design a webcam and solar powered server that fits into a pumpkin :!:

or maybe Suttons will launch a new "kensington ready" variety.

Ok I'll go and make some soup :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Recipes for squash?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 19:00 »
Don't talk about servers - I've been converting an old server into a backup machine and will then turn Val's pc into a server.. very long story of faulty motherboards, firms that take 3 weeks to replace, graphics cards that aren't compatible,, ARggggg

And today I've been doing some heavy database work which seems to cause my test server to crash which then corrupts the database so back to square one.

At least I got a break as the cat had to go to the vets because she was limping. Pulled muscle, quick jab, thirty five quid please.

And I still haven't pricked out the onion seedlings....

kooringa

• Experienced Member
    • http://kooringa.com
Recipes for squash?
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 20:59 »
I roast chunks of pumpkin and squash with seeds removed and on a baking tray - a drizzle of oil if you want them plain - then when they just start to brown at the edges and are just done - I cool them and freeze them - you can use them in curries, stews, soups, mash - with mashed potato, with mashed parsnips, or just thaw a zap in a microwave to reheat and still get that roasted taste - ditto in the oven

I think that I must have been a pumpkin or squash in a past life as I eat so many of them.

Ratatouille with pumpkins and squash - sliced and roasted with chilli flakes, or garlic powder ...........................

Must stop there now - getting carried away
Visit my website to see my chickens, quail, allotment and much more -

noshed

squash
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 22:22 »
Lasagna using a squash base is surprisingly nice - use meat as well but the squash gives it all a rich flavour. I 'm hoping to grow loads this year - maybe up canes involving complicated hammocks etc...
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Dan

• Experienced Member
Recipes for squash?
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 23:27 »
I only recently discovered squash and im addicted thanks to a simple recipe in jamie olivers first book ( the naked chef) for "Spicey roasted squash"
Simply cut the squash into boats....scoop out the seeds ( Dont throw them away.. none of you mention? roast them gently in a little oil...dry on tissue then sprinkle on a little salt and eat like peanuts/pumpkins...gorgeous)...then in a pestle mash  up

2 teaspoon corriander seed,
2 teaspoon dried oregano,
half teaspoon fennel seed,
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper,
1 clove of garlic
and either 2 small dried red chillies or some dried chilli powder/chunks.

and a good dollop of olive oil...
mix all in a bowl...chuck in the squash pieces ( leave skin on) and coat all over liberally....

skin side down in a baking tray oven at 200c/ 400f/ mark 6 for 30 to 40 mons until the skin goes all brown and caramalised.....its so sweet and slighty spicy i have it with everything.
I havent eaten potato for ages ...its squash all the way till i discover something else...i am single and live alone and 1 squash does me about 3 meal size portions maybe 4 !

Angelah

• Experienced Member
Recipes for squash?
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 13:27 »
I'd never had a squash until I had my eldest child. It was recommended as an easy food for weaning. Now we can't live without them and are always looking for new ways to cook them - I'm looking forward to growing them too now.

We were recently at a friends for lunch and he'd roasted them in strips, which we often do, but had drizzled them with maple syrup - scrummy or what!!

xx
A few more (fancy) squash recipes

Started by Snoop on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post October 18, 2014, 10:13
by Snoop
xx
Desperate for squash and pumpkin recipes!!

Started by Yana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post January 16, 2014, 19:37
by Yorkie
xx
Recipes

Started by Val H on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 25, 2008, 21:31
by Beetroot queen
xx
can not see recipes

Started by kevinp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 08:54
by joyfull

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 38 queries.