Found 4 glass demijohns at recycling area

• 9 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« on: June 10, 2007, 12:45 »
I just couldn't leave them, so went off, got DH and brought them back home. Only problem is that they're pretty dirty and I've not bought the brush to scrub them yet. One, which looked more like an oil jar broke when I poured hot boiling water to try and soak. Shame, as it was so pretty. Well, my question is, how can I get them cleaned and sterilised without breaking more? There's a black spot/stain on the side of one of them. Do you think it's safe, or shall I recycle them and get new ones? I'd like to try some homebrew sometime soon.......
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

WG.

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 12:58 »
Try making cloches out of them since I wouldn't fancy using them for wine now.

Please try the Search button at the top of this page since I recall seeing earlier postings on this subject.  Fill in the search fields as described but do post again if you can't find the answers you need (or even if you just feel like posting again  :D )

Search for Keywords: demi*john* string
Choose Search for all terms
Display results as: Posts
Return first: all available characters of posts

jacnal

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 13:13 »
Thought I might use them as cloches if I could get the bottoms off. As I'm not good at cutting glass and don't have the equipment anyway, I might take them to a glass cutter? Those instructions were so jibberish to me  :oops:

WG.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 13:38 »
Try the string method - that is what I suggested on the Search

David.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 13:57 »
Demijon brush, Tesco value thin bleach for a week & brush again. Pour bleach back into bottles and save for next time/W.C.

Many stubborn bits can be removed by part filling with water plus a handful of fine (aquarium grade) gravel and shaking/swirling around.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 13:59 »
Glass expands rapidly in hot water so thats why they break jacnal. Have you tried using warm water to rinse then using hotter water ? cambden tablets will sterilise them, but they give off bad fumes.
The black spot inside or outside ? inside it needs to come out if your using for wine making.

The string method as whisky mentioned works, but be very careful of breaking glass certainly not in my mind the best way to cut them ( sorry WG ) i've tried it on several occasions and had bad results.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

jacnal

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 14:50 »
***Chopping demi-johns : I read somewhere (maybe even on here) that you tie some string around the base of the demi-john. Wet with lighter fuel & set light. Then dip in cold water and tap the inside base (with dowel or summat). I will search.***

Is this it? The only other instruction involves contraptions I don't even know.

So, Just plain old string? Where do I get lighter fuel - short of dismantling a lighter? Actually, if Rich has had bad results, I'll probably have broken glass everywhere. I'm not very good a this sort of thing, might just visit a glass cutter.... If it works out cheap, I'll go for it. If expensive, I'll recycle.

David - I'm not a fan of bleach - haven't used chlorine bleach for a long time. Exacerbates asthma. Wouldn't want to have to take inhalers again - been off them over a year! Hence campden tabs are out too, due to the fumes, Rich. The black spot is inside.

Thanks all for replying! :)

WG.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 14:55 »
The post was from leeky - see http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=52351#52351  Lighter fuel refills are available all over the place - little yellow tins by Ronfuel or summat like that.

Leeky is obviously the man to go for lessons RR  :wink:  :wink:

hotterotter

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 19:36 »
OK, spot who had a mispent youth. Another way of cleanly taking the bottom off a milk bottle is to heat it over a gas cooker then drop a pound coin in. hey presto its done. I've never tryed it with a demijohn, as my lungs aren't that big.

seadart

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 20:08 »
The contraption is a "Bottle Chopper" it's a glass cutter that is on a stand.

You can adjust the height of the cutter

You measure how far up the bottle or Demi John you want to cut and turn the cutter around the outside of the bottle.

But tbh for 4 demi johns you'd be better off with the string method or a freindly glazier  :wink:  :wink:
Life? Don't talk to me about life!!
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s34/smilies-151.png[/img]

xx
Demijohns..

Started by Isprinsessan on Homebrew

13 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 09:10
by ANHBUC
xx
Demijohns

Started by Nikkithefoot on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2008, 12:53
by Stripey_cat
xx
Where do you store demijohns?

Started by grinling on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post February 18, 2016, 21:54
by grinling
xx
preloved demijohns

Started by grinling on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 14:50
by Capt Zero

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 39 queries.