I think I may have killed my raspberry canes?

• 12 Replies

Kirpi

I think I may have killed my raspberry canes?
« on: May 19, 2013, 14:52 »
I inherited a ten foot row of summer raspberries when I took on the plot 5 years ago. The first three years they hve been prolific both in leaves and fruit.

Last year they were being choked by bindweed so I carefully sprayed the binweed leaves with Round-up. Inevitably I caught the odd few raspberry leaves and I was surprised how quickly the raspberry canes were suffering even from a few leaves being touched incidentally.

Whether as a result, or just the year we had or whatever, the canes didn't put up many new shoots to tie in for this year and this year's canes have either died back or are showing very aenemic looking leaves and shrivelled flower buds.

The only thing I think it could have been if not glyphosphate is last year I accepted a bin bag of wood shavings from a turners club as mulch - on top not dug in at all - and I wonder if that might have been pine shavings or treated wood in some way and that has affected the canes at all. The shavings have either rotted down or blown away as I looked today and couldn't find much evidence of them.

I should add that I bought a pack of ten raspberry canes from a well known supplier and put them in the row to fill the gaps and some of them are looking sick as well, which tells me it couldn't have been the Round-up as it doesn't continue in the soil, I understand.

They are looking very sick and sparse compared to how they used to be. I think I may have killed them.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: I think I may have killed my raspberry canes?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 17:04 »
The wood shavings may have robbed all the nitrogen from the soil as it rotted.
Give them a good feed (chicken pellets or something else for quick release Nitrogen) and see if they recover - good luck!

Ivor Backache

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 17:18 »
During the late winter I dug up my raspberries to clear them of couch grass. carefully teased out the delicate roots and then replanted them in soil enriched with rotted horse manure. They were watered and had all the TLC but they all died. Some other raspberries that were not dug up have also died.

Your shavings would not have affected them. They needed to be in the soil. Just one of those things?

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 17:53 »
Kirpi, you may be interested to read this (rather lengthy) article about glyphosate, I certainly was and even allowing for the fact that there may be bias because of who published the paper, I would not touch the stuff ever. I did have another one, but I can't find it at the minute.

http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/reports/impacts_glyphosate.pdf

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 18:12 »
I bought 2 mots of raspberry canes from T&M and out of 10, I think 3 survived.
Wouldn't buy from them again. Don't know which company you bought yours from?

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 19:37 »
I bought 2 mots of raspberry canes from T&M and out of 10, I think 3 survived.
Wouldn't buy from them again. Don't know which company you bought yours from?

Kirpi 'inherited' the canes 5 years ago. If you contact T&M they will replace them, they replaced my blackberries that died. Most of the big companies are very good at replacing plants that die, recognising that they will likely lose a customer if they don't. :)

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 21:20 »
I should add that I bought a pack of ten raspberry canes from a well known supplier and put them in the row to fill the gaps and some of them are looking sick as well, which tells me it couldn't have been the Round-up as it doesn't continue in the soil, I understand.

They are looking very sick and sparse compared to how they used to be. I think I may have killed them.

I was talking about these raspberry canes. :)
I don't buy from that company anymore - too many 'deaths' of plants or dying when they arrived :D

Kirpi

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 22:19 »
Thanks for opinions and info. I'll try boosting nitrogen, keeping well watered and see what happens.

At the very worst I will have a project for winter - clearing and preparing a new raspberry row!

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 22:22 »
There is of course the tale that says you shouldn't plant raspberries in the same place for 7 years - unless you dig out about 2ft of soil from that spot and replace it. :)

Maybe a myth, may be true :unsure:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 07:20 »
There is of course the tale that says you shouldn't plant raspberries in the same place for 7 years - unless you dig out about 2ft of soil from that spot and replace it. :)

Maybe a myth, may be true :unsure:

Mine won't be moved so I hope that is a myth. They are in their home now and that's that, all the other fruit beds are full too.  ???

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 10:18 »
I may have written that slightly wrong!
When replacing raspberry canes, you're not supposed to put them where raspberries have previously been without waiting 7 years.
Its to do with loss of nutrients and soil disease - hence a lot of digging if you do want to put them in the same place again :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 10:25 »
I may have written that slightly wrong!
When replacing raspberry canes, you're not supposed to put them where raspberries have previously been without waiting 7 years.
Its to do with loss of nutrients and soil disease - hence a lot of digging if you do want to put them in the same place again :)

Phew lol  :wacko: I suddenly thought where the heck will I move them too.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 20:33 »
Rasps are very susceptable to roundup getting onto their leaves and it will kill the rasps if you are not very, very carefull.

xx
kamikaze chickens have killed me veg patch? is it too late to move fruit canes

Started by rachelr on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 03, 2011, 21:37
by gavinjconway
question
Raspberry Canes

Started by daffodil on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 22:59
by tode
xx
Raspberry Canes

Started by The Hungry Slug on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 18:36
by gobs
xx
what should i do with my raspberry canes???

Started by greenbean on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 12, 2007, 21:46
by greenbean

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 40 queries.