Have I beaten the sawfly?

• 3 Replies

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
Have I beaten the sawfly?
« on: April 22, 2009, 08:14 »
I haven't eaten a Gooseberry for a couple of years because of Sawfly attacks.

Last year I watched the bushes early on and caught them whilst they were still low on the bushes.

Living on an island I can't just pop round the garden centre etc, so I went to my store cupboard and found a year or two old bottle of "Crop saver" and sprayed the caterpillars with this. They obviously didn't like it and died. But even though I saved 80% of the foilage, I didn't get a single berry.

This year the bushes are looking good, the bees are working the flowers and not a single sawfly has yet been seen, does this mean I killed off the next generation of sawfly?

Yours the ever vigilant sawfly killer.

Bob

Trebor

• Experienced Member
Re: Have I beaten the sawfly?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 16:51 »
North of Orkney – surprised any pest survives the winter! Does the Gooseberry bush have a certain windswept appearance by any chance? Maybe a few broken branches from the hailstorms?!

Sorry, sometimes can’t help myself – but on a serious note I would think that the weather probably helped you as much as anything in ridding you of pests. Being in Kent we don’t usually get so much in the way of frost which means the bugs can survive for ages.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Have I beaten the sawfly?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 19:54 »
Don't know the specific answer to your question, but I believe that Crop Saver contains malathion as its active ingredient?  If so, just to point out that it became illegal to use any malathion based product at the end of last year (so your spraying last year was fine, but not this year).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

xx
Beaten the Blight?

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 14:50
by OpenSourceAgriculture
xx
Sawfly

Started by Jim the builder on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 15:49
by Jim the builder
xx
Getting rid of sawfly

Started by Stringbags on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2015, 09:50
by ptarmigan
xx
Gooseberry sawfly

Started by zarazara on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 23:03
by chrisjsmith

Page created in 0.677 seconds with 37 queries.