A very sad day

• 17 Replies

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
A very sad day
« on: December 20, 2014, 08:22 »
We had to have our elderly labrador put to sleep yesterday, he lived with us for over 7 years.  We or rather he chose us from a rescue centre where he'd been for 5 months, we were told he had had an unlucky start to life and had two owners prior to us.

He was the gentlest, most loving dog one could ever wish for and gave us so much joy and laughter, indeed everyone who knew him loved him.  He was well travelled and regularly came with us to France and Spain.

Whilst in Scotland earlier on this year he suffered a stroke and although he never fully recovered still had a good quality of life. 

Yesterday he had another stroke and this time we and I'm convinced he knew that it was his time to say goodbye.

It has left us totally lost and miss him more than words can say.
Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

snowdrops

Re: A very sad day
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 08:41 »
Sorry to hear of your sad loss, sounds as if he was a special chap. In a while you will be able to remember the good times with less sadness
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 09:39 »
It's very sad to lose a pet, my cat was put to sleep on Tuesday, so I know exactly how you feel  :(

We can only do what we can to ease their pain towards the end of their lives.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 10:12 »
So sorry to hear this. :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 10:29 »
You have my very deepest sympathies.

250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 11:32 »
It's very sad to lose a pet, my cat was put to sleep on Tuesday, so I know exactly how you feel  :(

We can only do what we can to ease their pain towards the end of their lives.

Mum,condolences for you too

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 16:28 »
it is sad to say goodbye, my sympathy to both of you.  Take care.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

barley

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 21:50 »
my dogs are my world

every time we have had to say goodbye to our oldies it breaks my heart , but I take comfort in knowing they had a good life with us

there are plenty of lost souls out there that don't get the chance to be loved and cared for so although it was a sad day for you , it was a happy life for him

take care and try not to be to sad xxx

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 21:57 »
I am so so sorry for your lose, I to am going to have to make that decision sometime very soon as one of my beloved dogs has bowel cancer. They become such a large part of our lives it is so very hard to let them go.

My thoughts are with you, but remember how much love you gave him and what he gave in return.....
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

Sue33

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 22:20 »
So sorry for you at this sad time, we went through it last year and it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do {{{hugs}}}

cadalot

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 07:16 »
Thinking of you, I had to do the same with our little chap this time last year..

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 07:41 »
Thanks for all the lovely replies. 

Its still very raw with us at the moment, everywhere we look we think of our dear boy.  We always went for walks every day come rain or shine and it feels so strange not having that purpose to go out. 

I keep looking at the lovely wrapped up Christmas present from his pal up the road :(

I know that we made the right decision to let him go and in amongst the tears there is also so many happy memories for us.

We still have our little rescue dog that we bought back from Spain earlier on in the year but she too is poorly with a heart complaint and is unable to walk much.  I am quite sure that when we are ready we will go to the rescue and give another needy dog a good home.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 10:41 »
I have lost 2 of my dogs in the last year so understand the heartache that you are going through, infact in the last 35 years I have been through this heartache 14 times - 13 dogs and 1 cat, I will never forget any of them but I am now in a place where I can remember them in the good times and smile. Things will get better in time.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Oliveview

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 16:10 »
The kindest gift of love is knowing when to say goodbye- but it is still very very sad. 

Pamela x

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 12:42 »
The kindest gift of love is knowing when to say goodbye- but it is still very very sad. 

Pamela x
Oliveview - you have just encapulated everything in your post - so very well put too. Dilly Dom - you gave him a new life with love and he gave it back to you in spades. We had the same thing with a cat called Uncle Spikey who was born in our home and lived for about 18 years. We knew when it was his time to go 'cos he told us.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 39 queries.