pak choi

• 8 Replies

pops

pak choi
« on: June 11, 2009, 10:45 »
greetings
this is the 1st time i have grown pak choi,can anyone tell me is it bad for them to flower ?
i planted them as seedlings about 3 weeks ago,they are growing really well,good colour and size but 1 of them has started to flower (beautiful flowers aswell :) ) pops

BarrowBoy

Re: pak choi
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 10:58 »
I am growing them for the first time as well and mine are around 10 weeks old but have no flowers but do look very green and healthy.

I think and i may be wrong but they can flower or bolt when they get too hot or if they are too close together

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:21 »
The one that has flowered has bolted...this means it has flowered prematurely...usually because the plant was stressed in some way.
You should pull it out or if it's pretty leave the flower, if you don't want to keep the seed make sure you pull it after flowering or you may have them growing everywhere :ohmy:

gillie

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 12:23 »
The usual advice is not to sow Pak choi until July for an autumn crop, otherwise they may bolt.

I ignored this, grew a few in modules and planted them out.  They have all bolted in unison!

Cheers,

Gillie

pops

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 13:38 »
thanks for the info,really appreciate it.   pops

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 17:20 »
"I ignored this, grew a few in modules and planted them out.  They have all bolted in unison!"

I made an impulse buy of Pak Choi plants at the garden centre a couple of weeks ago.

Same result :(

Nefertari

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 17:47 »
Think I must be the exception here then as sowed seeds a few weeks ago. have 2 rows of pak choi ready to pick and not 1 has bolted.  I have kept it well watered though.

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 17:59 »
I tried Pak Choi last year and they all bolted. Wanted to know why they all went and found that as they are tropical the expect more or less equal amounts of day and night. It was said that the uneven day to night length in the northern hemisphere is the problem. The suggestion was to plant late for an autumn crop as the amount of day and night gets more equal and it is not too cold. I never bothered to try again

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 22:53 »
I went down the lottie today and found that someone had very generously donated some Pak Cho seedlings to me. A quick read in my RHS book says although they are bit early and so may bolt the "flowering shoots are very palatable"! I suppose you could start using them as pick and come again and if they do bolt, eat the shoots !  :D
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

xx
Pak Choi

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 18:00
by Grubbypaws
xx
pak choi

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2020, 20:07
by muckyboots
xx
Pak Choi help?

Started by SallyPrecey on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 15:31
by oldcow
xx
Pak Choi

Started by washsaint on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 20:36
by gobs

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 39 queries.