Tomato Plants

• 7 Replies

carnie163

Tomato Plants
« on: June 23, 2013, 12:21 »
I have four tomato plants in my greenhouse but two of them have shown no signs of fruiting at all also the leaves are just curling any advise would be welcome thanks.

Stree

Re: Tomato Plants
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 17:16 »
I think the reason you have no response is not that no-one knows what to do about your plants, but that those points have been covered many times and a simple forum search will bring you lots of answers to your question.
We sort of assume that folk will have a good nosey round for answers before they ask a question, then if it really is a puzzler we will all pitch in to try and help.
If you get stuck there is a good FAQ section and some user guides.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 18:42 »
Sorry, I missed this................ a photo always helps with questions like this  ;)

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 18:06 »
i have 3 tomato plants by fothergill (can't remember the variety) they had no sign of fruit even though they were 4ft tall. these also had curled up leaves too.

these have now almost lost the curly leaves and producing fruit.

if it's not too late, maybe just be patient and it will come good.

4th season allot

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 10:28 »
Good practice with Tomatoes is to keep them in small pots till they set some flowers then pot them on into final growing position.
I believe if they get too much nutrient they make bigger plants then start to make flowers and fruit later which is not good for our short summers as you end up making green tomato chutney.
Doug

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 09:21 »
ALL the leaves on ALL my Inca tomato plants became curled (and most of them eventually crisped up and died.)

It's a variety I've grown successfully for the past 2 years, but this year I placed them on what is the sunniest side of the greenhouse. I added some diffuser (bubble wrap) to the glass on that side, fed them, and they are now doing much better, with plenty of fruit setting.

It was presumably due to just too much sun, which probably also led to too big a variation in day/night temperatures for them to cope with as relatively young plants.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Headgardener22

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 16:06 »
ALL the leaves on ALL my Inca tomato plants became curled (and most of them eventually crisped up and died.)

I thought that Inca tomatoes were "best" as outdoor tomatoes. Perhaps they've got too hot this year. My polytunnel has got to over 40C recently despite having all the doors open and as much shade as I can achieve.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 16:35 »
I think the general feeling is that leaves curl due to the wide variances between day and night time temperatures causing the plants a bit of stress.  They talked about it last week on Beechgrove garden last week and said the only thing you could do was shade them during the day and ensure they don't get too cold at night.

As far as all foliage and no flowers is concerned, it might be worth feeding them with a high potassium feed, rather than a nitrogen based feed which will help the leaves to develop more.  We have only really fairly recently started getting the lovely long sunshine hours that tomatoes need to produce fruit.  My plants are a bit too leafy for my liking too.  I am going to remove the lower leaves to encourage more airflow and reduce the chances of disease occurring.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
pruning tomato plants

Started by treecol on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2014, 11:52
by Goosegirl
xx
Too much green on my tomato plants

Started by adri123 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

17 Replies
Last post June 30, 2023, 16:31
by Hortic
clip
can anyone identify what is happening to my tomato plants?

Started by snow white on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

12 Replies
Last post June 15, 2016, 13:43
by snow white
xx
Help! My tomato plants are taking over the polytunnel!

Started by yorkiegal on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 21:40
by Countryman_uk

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 40 queries.