Quiet, slow and a bit puffed up..

• 4 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
Quiet, slow and a bit puffed up..
« on: July 03, 2010, 21:02 »
Hello - does anyone recognise these symptoms?
My favourite ex bat Snuggles has been absolutely fine all day, but when I called them over for their evening sweetcorn I couldnt find Snuggles - and eventually found her in a flower bed and completely uninterested in food. Since then she has been holding her wings slightly away from her body and looks puffed up (as if she's trying to cool down). She walks but slowly, and is sitting with her tail held high as if to keep her abdomen away from the ground. Her poo is very mucusy. She's not really interested in food or water at the moment. 
Does anyone recognise these symptoms? 
I've brought her inside for the night - and she seems very docile and tired and even sat in my arms and let me stroke ker for ages which she wouldn't nornmally do....plesae let me know if you have any ideas what could be wrong.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Quiet, slow and a bit puffed up..
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 22:18 »
Hi cat, I'm sorry your hen isn't too well at the moment.  Those symptoms could be any one of a number of things, and I'm no expert on chicken illness.

Why do you think its more than just that she's too hot?  Loads of mine are just sitting around or standing there with their wings lowered and away from their bodies.  I've not necessarily noticed their abdomens and tails though.

Hopefully someone with a bit more chook medical knowledge will be here soon.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 23:18 »
Hi Grannieannie,
I'm hoping that's all it is - but am concerned about her lack of appetite and mucusy poos. I'm pretty sure she's running a temperature too as she feels so hot - even now things have cooled down. She's panting a lot now as well and gut feeling is that something isn't right....
Am trying to get her to take water via a syringe and we'll take her to the vet tomorrow.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 23:27 »
Does sound like more than just heat doesn't it?  Poor little thing, hope she's okay Cat!

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 05:24 »
Well that explains it...
went in this morning at 5am to check on her and was very surprised to see 2 eggs!  One full sized softie laid behind the bathroom door, another full sized normal one in her box - oh and one perkier chicken - poor girl!
Thanks for your advice though grannieannie - at least I got a lot more sleep knowing it might just have been the heat.

C

xx
quiet puffed up hen

Started by peggygate on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 16:11
by ChristyRose
xx
Hen all puffed up

Started by jimbeekeeper on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 20:05
by NormandyMary
sad
PUFFED UP CHICKEN !!

Started by Little jack on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 15:33
by Little jack
xx
puffed up neck feathers

Started by peggygate on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 12:32
by peggygate

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 34 queries.