Putting up an electric fence

• 4 Replies
Putting up an electric fence
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:17 »
My three lovely ladies have had free run of the garden since we got them in October.  We now need to restrict them so that the children can play outside without trailing chicken poo all over the house :tongue2: Had a rather hysterical time trying to put the electric fence up...My Dad says we should be able to secure it to the wooden fence in places so that it is more stable and less saggy.  However, others say you can't let it touch wood.  Don't understand.  Wood isn't known for its conduction properties.  Any advice?  And any tips in setting the thing up generally.  Instructions are so minimal as to be almost non existant!! :(  Thanks!

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: Putting up an electric fence
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 20:13 »
hi clockhouse chick -i nearly got divorced last weekend putting up our electric fence! i'm pretty sure you have to use plastic poles to support  the sagging parts because otherwise some of the charrge will be lost into the wood - that is our understanding of it anyway. good luck with it. some of the other members on this site gave me such a lot of advice and we could not have managed without them!  lucyloux

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 22:10 »
You can get a sort of plastic clip (sorry don't know proper name) for use on wooden fences. Try local farm supplies shop or web electric fence suppliers. Without these, yes some charge will be lost, but the real problem is that the staples damage the fence -it is quite fragile compared to a non-electrical fence. A way round this that I've used as a temporary measure was to use nylon cord under tension between post and fence. HTH

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 22:45 »
Your net will have plastic insulated supports which are only any good for holding the net up in straight runs.  Where ever you need a corner drive a 6ft tree stake (3inch round) into the round,  Arrange that a plastic support is at this point on the net and tie the pole using nylon cord or bailer twine is ideal so the cord acts like a guy rope tensioning the net.  If you have to move the supports which you will almost certainly have to, make sure you don't snag and break the thin stainless steel conductors woven in the twine.  If you do the best way to repair it is to twist some copper wire stripped from some old mains cable, around the net cord.

The net itself should not touch the wooden stake which although being a poor conductor is still enough to short the fence in wet weather.  With a tree stake spaced at 45deg outside each corner and the net tensioned by the guy cords to the stake and running in STRAIGHT lines the net should not sag at all.  The plastic poles supplied help to support it at even intervals but they can't support coners without a tree stake.  You can similarly use guys to a convenient fence if you like as long as the guys are nylon or similarly insulating.  You can use PVC insulating tape to tape the vertical cords on the net to the pole to help support the net.    make sure that the grass doesn't grow up and short the net also.  The bottom strand of the net is none conducting and can touch the ground but other horizontal strands must not touch anything which isn't plastic insulated.

Hope this helps
HF
electric net run.jpg
Electric net corner small.jpg
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 22:53 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 13:59 »
Thank you all!  Especially that wonderfully detailed reply by hillfooter. :D Why don't they say all that in the instructions??  I'll give it all a go as soon as it stops raining... and then I'll be back on here for more top tips!!!  Watch this space ::)

xx
Electric fence vs fixed fence...

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 08:05
by nerdle
xx
electric fence

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 07:20
by animal mad
xx
Electric Fence

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 21:48
by daisy1990
xx
electric fence

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 10, 2007, 22:42
by babe

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 35 queries.