Get prepared for storm Ciara

• 24 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: Get prepared for storm Ciara
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 12:36 »
Early this morning I was awaken by a big roll of thunder then heard the rain lashing down. When OH got up the bedroom light was flickering and he found the pull-cord was a bit wet so he turned off the switch to all our lights so cue candles and a lamp. There must be a bit of pointing in a ridge tile or something that had come out but we can't see any damage. Later on the winds dropped then we had a sudden blast of high winds and rain but nothing much since. Just had a phone call from a visitor who can't get to us because all the roads and lanes that lead to us are completely flooded.  :ohmy:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 13:58 »
We’ve lost 2 fence panels so far but every cloud has a silver lining, I was hoping to procure some such to enclose the bottom half of the Chicken pen so looks like I’m halfway there 🙄😊  :ohmy: :)

Again I have used my iPad emojis & they don’t show now, they send to, anybody any dead why they don’t? It’s not just me I notice other members show the same numbers & # etc. Is it since the upgrade? Does a swith need flicking?  :D
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2020, 14:19 »
Again I have used my iPad emojis & they don’t show now, they send to, anybody any dead why they don’t? It’s not just me I notice other members show the same numbers & # etc. Is it since the upgrade? Does a swith need flicking?  :D

The SMF forum software appears to only be able to resolve and correctly display its own built-in emojis - iPad and Android emojis just display the code.
John knows far more about it than I do of course, although I'm sure he would have flicked the switch by now if it were that simple.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jezza

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2020, 16:57 »
Hello do not seal greenhouses up they'll wether the wind mines stood in the garden gets battered all sides never moves had one at market garden I worked at closed every thing down fastened vents down with ropes and breeze blocks except for one next morning 1000 panes missing jeźza

snowdrops

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 18:30 »

The SMF forum software appears to only be able to resolve and correctly display its own built-in emojis - iPad and Android emojis just display the code.
John knows far more about it than I do of course, although I'm sure he would have flicked the switch by now if it were that simple.

Thanks for the reply, they used to be ok for years

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 20:13 »
Found the following on the BBC news pages , hold on to your hats!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-47177383/
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2020, 08:35 »
I've put wires across the front of the greenhouse to stop, hopefully, the double doors popping out - like they did in the storm a few weeks ago.
I've put bolts through the top sliders and spring clamps to hold the doors together in the middle. Later I'm putting some repair tape along the door edges, because the brush draught proofers don't actually seal the gap very well  ::)

Well all that was worth the effort because It's still standing in one piece:) As it's still quite gusty this morning so I'll leave it sealed up for now...
I've lost a fence panel and now have 2 wobbly posts that'll need sorting soon though :( but it could have been a lot worse...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 11:12 »
When I look at what has happened here (although I haven't look upstairs yet !), I consider myself very lucky compared to many.    Those terrible floods again for so many folk.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

al78

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 14:30 »
Seems to have been as much a rain event as a wind event. Winds in my area less severe than expected, so my greenhouse should have withstood it. The flooding looks quite bad further north and west (Lancashire and Cumbria again!!).

Christine

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2020, 16:04 »
It's certainly be wet up here in Northumberland with all the normal rivers escaping so it will  have been jolly wet over in Cumbria too.

xx
Forget storm Ciara Storm Dennis is on the way

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

18 Replies
Last post February 16, 2020, 21:46
by Growster...
xx
Storm Damage

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2021, 17:52
by GraciesGran
clip
Did any one get any storm damage?, we did

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post February 12, 2020, 16:18
by Christine
xx
Last nights Storm Damage

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post December 22, 2019, 15:26
by WeavingGryphon

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 50 queries.