A good price for bees?

• 7 Replies

massa

• Experienced Member
A good price for bees?
« on: May 05, 2011, 22:23 »
i have been offered a national hive, (roof, crown board, 2 supers, 1 brood box, base and queen excluder) and the bees off a fellow thats been recomended to me from the local bbka who has been keeping bees for 30 years commercially and has around 7 hives and is downsizing as he has retired and now only wants to keep a few as a hobby again. He has offered me the hive and bees for £300 but im not sure if this is a good price or not? has anyone got any advice? thanks matt.

Pol

• Pauline
Re: A good price for bees?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 23:08 »
Hi Matt
not sure if thats a good price
I have got an e-mail today I think from the same man (Alan) but I have not e-mail him back yet
and I only want the bees with having my hive on order so I am not ready for them
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 06:49 »
Its probably not a bad price a nuc of bees at the moment if you can get them is around £210.00 the hive depending on condition would be £100 or so how long have the bees been in the hive and what sort of condition would be my question. Take one of the other club members ( not a friend of the seller) to give advice on the hive and bees

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 07:28 »
yeah it is the same bloke Pol! i think he may be selling the bees on there own too! i think he is getting rid of quite a few colonies! i think he said the bees alone would be around £160. i have priced up the starter kit from thornes online and they are selling the complete national hive with frames,  foundation etc delivered for around £140 it is second quality but would work out around the same price!!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 11:31 »
if the bees and hive are in good condition and you can afford to pay that much then yes, it is a good price.

I paid £250 for my brand new national hive (full beginners kit from thornes, included full body suit, hive tools etc) plus £160 for a nuc of bees last year, but the thing you would need to be sure of is that the hive and bees are disease free.

The chances are that if this guy has kept bees for 30 years then they probably are healthy but you would need to be sure for yourself.

Of course, if you aren't already a BBKA (British BeeKeepers Association) member and a member of your loca association then I'd join up straight away.  your local BKA will sort out your membership with the BBKA (£20 for a years membership and you get regular magazines, access to the BBKA online forum, and up to £5 Million cover in case your bees go on a rampage and hurt people etc) and people at the local association will be ready and I hope willing to give advice on hive management.

I got my bees last year and they've just swarmed despite my best efforts, so my advice to you would be buy a second hive as soon as you possibly can so that you can do an artificial swarm (you'll learn how to do that from your association and various other sources) to prevent, or at least lessen the chances, of this happening to you.

Mine swarmed because I was lazy and didn't check them one weekend when I had the chance and in the meantime they had tried to raise another 10 queens - all of whom would have swarmed off with groups of my bees if I hadn't removed them.  In the end just my original queen was left to swarm, but it means I've lost half of my bees and I don'thave a queen (until hopefully this afternoon and not a moment too soon - queenless bees can be very agressive  :ohmy: )

The other reason to get another hive asap is so that you can properly clean out the old hive and get rid of any pests like earwigs, varroa mites and wax moths that might take residence in the hive.  A blowtorch is a must but be careful with it for obvious reasons, but there are other methods as well.

THornes are the place to buy your equipment direct from online (www.thornes.co.uk) but they can take weeks to despatch to you so if you can afford to wait then go direct, however there are a few beekeeping supplies in Yorkshire and Stockton who will have parts in stock for you to pick up there and then.  I'm off to Stockton this afternoon to get a new brood chamber and super from my supplier rather than wait 2 weeks for Thornes to send them.

Sorry for going on, but if someone had said these things to me last year when I got my bees I might not have made so many mistakes!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 20:30 »
I have to agree that Thornes do seem to be taking a while at the moment. The stuff I ordered over 2 weeks ago hasn't shown up yet but I suppose that that is only slow in a world where we are all used to instant, internet shopping and the like.
I suspect it is also the time of year and the fantastic weather we have been having. I was at Fragile Planet in Oswestry and they were saying the are racing to try and keep up with demand.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 19:07 »
Thornes must have heard me as my stuff arrived today! :D

madasafish

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 13:03 »

xx
Bees

Started by Jilly Pickles on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 23:13
by jimbeekeeper
xx
New bees

Started by ManicMum on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 21:04
by darren64
xx
My Bees are in

Started by kevinp on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 11:33
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Bees

Started by carl on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2012, 21:49
by carl

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 39 queries.