Emergency situation.....any advice !!!!!

• 5 Replies

Mischief

Emergency situation.....any advice !!!!!
« on: August 30, 2009, 18:01 »
Hi all

HAve a bit of an emergency situation on my hands. I picked up my beautiful two new Brahmas today and stupidly assumed that my hens would get on with them,,,,things are not looking good...... and I don't want to keep them all in the same coop tonight. I've been told that things are not good as the Brahmas are only 4 months old and when they get older things should sort themselves out....

My question is can keep my Brahmas in the avairy with my barn owls ???? I don't think that there would be a problem and the aivery is more than big enough for the two chicks....does anyone on here think there would be a problem or that it would be okay......!!!!

light is fading fast and I need to get them moved....so any advice will be very gratefully received !!!!!!!!!

iwantanallotment

Re: Emergency situation.....any advice !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 18:12 »
Do you have a large dog cage that the brahmas could sleep in tonight in the kitchen, just to give you time to sort something else tomorrow in daylight?

Personally I'd be wary of keeping them with the owls, they might not take kindly to the intrusion either   :unsure:

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 18:24 »
i think you would find that the barn owls would kill the hens, and you will find the hens will be scared stiff of them as they are hunters(owls)..i've had owls both barn and little owls, and when i first got my hens they used to go mad evey time i walked past the pen with the barn owl on my hand, sorry i think a dog crate or some thing esle you can put them
zoe pattinson :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 18:51 »
They may be ok for the night in the coop but will be picked on as soon as the sun comes up.
Could you make a temporary partition in the coop so they have somewhere safe for the night ?

Or just in a large box with straw in the bottom, in the kitchen, providing they have had plenty of food and water beforehand.

Make sure they are dark with large holes/slots for ventilation.

Rob 8)

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 21:18 »
Dont put them in with the owls they will not be happy even if the owls leave them alone and it is  apossibility they will not.
Large cardboard box or put them in a shed or the garage as others have said on here.
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 21:47 »
stick them in the henhouse, keep it nice and dark until you let them out, as light will stimulate activity. During the day, just partition the run in half. At night you can pop them all to roost together as long as you take them out first thing before any squabbling. They will gradually get used to another, It is better if they can see each other during the day, this will help the re-intergration.
A note here about breeds, large soft feathers like brahmas tend to be docile and prone to bullying, particulary from hybrids which are a lot more competitive.

xx
Egg emergency

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 20:27
by Caralou
xx
Help Emergency Question

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 20:50
by Spadefighter
xx
Incubator Come Emergency Brooder

Started by digga666 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 16:48
by rileyfin
xx
emergency crop surgery....

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 19:58
by Foxy

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 35 queries.