Help Emergency Question

• 20 Replies

Hawkins

Help Emergency Question
« on: October 29, 2008, 09:24 »
Will a minky killy chickens or ducks. We have seen one this morning. in the chicken pen.

The girls have been shut back up untill we can find out.

Em
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Vember

Help Emergency Question
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 09:26 »
Not sure Hawkins my Gut says yes :?

I know stoats can :(

Sarah

Kate and her Ducks

Help Emergency Question
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 09:30 »
In a heartbeat!!!

They are voracious hunters and killers :evil:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Hawkins

Help Emergency Question
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 09:30 »
any idea on how to get rid of it. or make the girls safe. They free roam in a 50m electric fence but my dad said he was jumping in and out of the fence.

Vember

Help Emergency Question
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 09:33 »
Bodgers the man to advise
Found this link Hawkins

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=21798&highlight=mink

Sarah :)

Foxy

Help Emergency Question
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 09:38 »
Yes, Im afraid, mink killed all my friends call ducks.
Dont know much about them Im afraid only they are quite nasty killers and can get into very small spaces.
I am sure there are a few people here with experience of these, Bodger I think may be able to help  :wink: but a good idea to keep a close eye on them in the meantime -is your coop and run secure? Are there any small gaps you could seal up?

Kate and her Ducks

Help Emergency Question
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 09:39 »
Mink coat anyone :wink:

Seriously they are probably harder to protect from that foxes as they are so agile. Sure Bodger will have some suggestions  but I don't think that they can co-exist :?

Would have thought than you can kill it as they are not native and cause havoc with the native population but don't quote me on this.

Bodger

Help Emergency Question
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 09:46 »
Shoot it, trap it, do what you can, because it will kill all your chickens in one sitting. Follow the advice in the link that Vember has flagged up.

Until its accounted for you have serious trouble.

raeburg

Help Emergency Question
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 10:41 »
My neighbour trapped on and then had to shoot it as the trap didn't kill it.  Nasty vicious things.

Des C

Help Emergency Question
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 13:53 »
Mink will kill everything they encounter. Get a Fenn trap or cage trap as soon as possible. Try not to handle the trap too much to avoid leaving human scent as mink are very wary. Bait your trap with fresh meat (raw).
Don't be tempted to release the mink elsewhere, they leave a trail of destruction, killing birds, voles, taking eggs etc.

If mink become established in your area, you will be plagued with problems. The only plus is that they kill rats and mice too.

BilboWaggins

Help Emergency Question
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 14:51 »
Hi Hawkins, if it is Mink then run, do not walk, to whatever method you can lay your hands on to trap and kill it.  If you are in an area with co-operative Wildlife Rangers, National Trust staff or similar tell them - mink range over a very wide area and will empty rivers & watercourses of fish and waterfowl.  They are dreadful pests.   I understand the logic behind their release in previous years by animal activists but they breed so well in this country and can decimate native wildlife in a season or two.

We found one last Spring at Grasmere. It was feeding on a killed duck and obviously taking food into a nest.  The little b*gger was as bold as brass - we watched her for nearly half an hour and took many photos.  These were then shown to the National Trust wardens at Red Squarry Bank who were off to trap and kill the next day.

Hope I've done this right, first post here.  No chooks yet but plans are developing well for POL pullets in the Spring and I am learning so much from everyone here, thank you all.

Bodger

Help Emergency Question
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 15:14 »
You can understand the logic of turning loose non indigenous killing machines into the British countryside ? :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

BilboWaggins

Help Emergency Question
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 17:04 »
Hi Bodger, absolutely NOT and in the Fantasy World where I Am King I'd make the idiots who introduce non-native species clear up the mess they've caused.  River Derwent near our home is becoming choked with Himalayan Balsam, the list sadly goes on and on.  

What I meant was that I understand people getting emotive about factory farming of anything (hey, most of us would love to put an end to the exploitation of "egg producing machines").  However, the place where Animal Rights folk lose my support is where they do not operate joined-up-thinking and liberate one animal but subsequently cause chaos and distruction to many others.

Bodger

Help Emergency Question
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 17:29 »
:thumright:

Hawkins

Help Emergency Question
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 17:43 »
Well we have been over there all day. We have double borded the shed on the outside. so 2 layers of ship lap. WE have then dug wire mesh into the floor and around the base of the shed ( it is on a  slope so back end is on stilts) My dad caught its head sticking out under there this morning.

We have re done the electric fencing on the run and run extra tape through the mesh to make the holes smaller.

We have also put out cat food with poison in. I am now frantically searching for a trap.

It's difficult because the girls free range in 50m of electric fencing all day. We are over the field a lot but not every hour.

Do you think I should keep them in untill we catch it?

Em

xx
Egg emergency

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 20:27
by Caralou
xx
emergency crop surgery....

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 19:58
by Foxy
xx
Incubator Come Emergency Brooder

Started by digga666 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 16:48
by rileyfin
exclamation
Emergency situation.....any advice !!!!!

Started by Mischief on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 21:47
by Foxy

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 39 queries.