Green manure

• 3 Replies

logi06

Green manure
« on: September 23, 2016, 20:13 »
Can anyone help me.
I have raised beds that I do not grow anything in over winter months. Can anyone tell me a green manure that I can add during these months.  I assume I them let it grow and dig it in in the spring? Sorry for being stupid?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Green manure
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 21:18 »
  I assume I them let it grow and dig it in in the spring? Sorry for being stupid?
Yes, I like to grow Phacelia because the top growth mostly dies down over winter, so there isn't much digging in to do :)
The site's advice page for green manure is here
http://www.allotment-garden.org/composts-fertilisers/green-manures-uses-types-of-green-manures/

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 19:21 »
I've just sown some field beans. You can sow Hungarian grazing rye but that's a pig to dig in, or Italian grazing rye which is a bit easier.

If I do green manure tend to pull it up and put it on the compost rather than dig in cos I'm lazy!

Hester Winterbourne

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 08:33 »
Winter tares are sown in September, field beans up til November.  The theory is to dig them in in the spring.  If you pull them out instead you would need to add something to replace the nutrients you have removed by pulling  them out.  Alternatively depending what you are growing next in that bed you could chop and drop them and prevent any regrowth by a heavy mulch.  Digging them in can act as an inhibitor to small seedlings so unless you leave a gap before sowing best followed by something you have already grown in pots to plant out e.g. sweetcorn, or non-seeds such as potatoes, onions.

xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 35 queries.