Magic Pony Poo

• 12 Replies

gsc

• Experienced Member
Magic Pony Poo
« on: May 05, 2010, 07:26 »
Just bought 20 odd bags of organic pony poo - the pony is called Magic apparantly  :D

Each bag is about 15kg and is pure poo ie no straw etc. which the seller describes as "medium rotted - not dry and not sludge".

What is the best way to use it?

I am making 3 raised bed about 1mx2m - they are going in the paddock once I've cleared the grass, then I have an area of garden, maybe 10 sq metres also raised that I'm just moving a load of chippings from.

Both areas are heavy clay and I will need to add a lot to get anything decent to plant in.  I can get organic compost locally at £4 per 80 litres.

All advice would be very welcome.

gsc

• Experienced Member
Re: Magic Pony Poo
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 12:25 »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 13:14 »
Boy, that pony certainly knows how to poo!!!    :ohmy:

Are you sure it has been rotted? It still looks a bit "turdy" to me (not to put too fine a point on it!)

If you are happy that it is not too "fresh" then I would suggest adding it as a mulch to a depth of about 3" and then digging it in (I have no idea how far 20 X 15kg of pony manure will go so that will make sure you don't potentially spread it too thinly to be of any use.)

As you say your soil will take a lot of improving over the years but should be worth it; I don't see you can do much more now if you are hoping to grow something this year.

(Remember the usual advice to not grow parsnips or carrots in freshly-manured ground.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 14:34 »
Are you sure it has been rotted? It still looks a bit "turdy" to me (not to put too fine a point on it!)
That's what I wondered byt what do I know!!! :unsure:

Thanks for the advice.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 15:05 »
As long as it doesn't smell (bad), you should be reasonably safe to plant in it this year. If there is still a distinct smell, then you'll have to wait until next year.

As for your heavy clay, adding chopped matter like straw, leaves, compost, green manures (green growth) is very beneficial to breakup clay. It'll take a few years before it's nicely friable as you can't rush these things. Look into planting green manure this fall - the roots will penetrate and breakup the clay and in spring the green matter will get rotovated in.

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 15:29 »

Um, nice!   :D

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 19:50 »
BUYING pony poo? I've got tons of it I can't even give away  ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 20:01 »
but is your's magic pony poo Terrier?

GSC my allotment is heavy clay and I make what I call my rough stuff compost.  I use shrub clippings and really quite woody stuff in the mix and compost it down to a reasonable degree but it's still quite chunky.  I dig it in over the winter and plant squash, sweetcorn or other big veg over the top of it next spring. By the following year, it's broken the clay down for more delicate veg.

Clays great once you get it opened up a bit so don't be too depondent about getting crops out of it  ;)

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 20:16 »
Thanks everyone - I think it will be trial and error and much experimenting this year.

BUYING pony poo? I've got tons of it I can't even give away  ::)
I guess it's knowing where to go  ::)

grinling

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 20:31 »
Apart from advertising horse manure on swap bit you could try freecycle. I found my source from there. If allotment nearby let them know.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 07:52 »
I will have a hunt around the local stables and see what's on offer for later this year.

In the meantime my pony poo arrived, 24 bags, and I decided I would leave it bagged till I had the area cleared.  However the dogs had other ideas and they all had a good roll in it, I can vouch for the fact that it's not too smelly - thank heavens!!!

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 07:58 »
Whoopee - I found some free locally on Freecycle - a never ending supply  :D

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 09:10 »
I will have a hunt around the local stables and see what's on offer for later this year.

In the meantime my pony poo arrived, 24 bags, and I decided I would leave it bagged till I had the area cleared.  However the dogs had other ideas and they all had a good roll in it, I can vouch for the fact that it's not too smelly - thank heavens!!!

:D :D A good pile of poo is to dogs the same as catnip is to cats , it does something to their brains. :)

Why do i still prefer dogs to cats ?

xx
Jack's magic

Started by fatcat1955 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2014, 18:49
by muckyboots
xx
Jacks Magic.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2014, 22:23
by Salmo
xx
Gro-Sure Planting Magic

Started by oakridge on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2016, 13:54
by mjg000
xx
Its a kinda magic

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 18:49
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 36 queries.