Beetroot

• 7 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
Beetroot
« on: September 01, 2015, 22:08 »
I have a very good crop of beetroot this year. I plan to pickle some and also try and store some . .  I would like to know are they hardy to be left in the ground or should I lift them before the first frost. Thanks

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
Re: Beetroot
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 22:11 »
I haven't tried it, but a mate of mine stores it in boxes of dry sand. Whatever you decide, Id lift it before the first frosts.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 22:31 »
When I've left mine in the ground too long, they either go woody, get eaten by slugs.  I also tried storing in dry sand once and they shrivelled up.  I think I read on here the other week that damp sand is better?

I don't like beetroot, I grow it for Brian and after 27 yeas he decded to tell me last year that he doesn't like it pickled only boiled, which can be a pain as it doesn't keep for very long, so I put some in a plastic bag with a piece of kitchen towel in it.  over a week later they are still lovely and firm, but I started making it into beetroot chuteny, and its lovely!  even I can eat it!  ;) ;)

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 23:44 »
Beetroot will stand a fair amount of frost but hard frosts get into the crown and then they rot. Covered with fleece or straw they will be protected. Slugs are not usually the problem but I do find that voles like to eat them, often hollowing them out to leave just the skin.

They will keep in sand or peat.

You could make a traditional pie. Make a slight hollow in the ground. Line with straw. Make a pile of beet. Cover with straw and then a layer of earth. Leave a small hole at the top to let it breath.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 14:35 »
Well, something ate a lot of mine and we don't get many voles around our area, perhaps it was rats or mice.  It was a rat tht nicked a few as we found one jammed halfway down a rat hole!  :lol:

Mum2mj

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 19:59 »
When I've left mine in the ground too long, they either go woody, get eaten by slugs.  I also tried storing in dry sand once and they shrivelled up.  I think I read on here the other week that damp sand is better?

I don't like beetroot, I grow it for Brian and after 27 yeas he decded to tell me last year that he doesn't like it pickled only boiled, which can be a pain as it doesn't keep for very long, so I put some in a plastic bag with a piece of kitchen towel in it.  over a week later they are still lovely and firm, but I started making it into beetroot chuteny, and its lovely!  even I can eat it!  ;) ;)

Ooh can I have the recipe please grannie??  :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 21:18 »
Of course you can!  I used this one of Val's, its on here as are a few others in the recipe section.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/1067/beetroot-chutney-recipe-2/

Mum2mj

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 21:30 »
Thankyou  :) I like personal recommendations for recipes :)

xx
Beetroot

Started by Andymack on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2006, 11:34
by Jake
xx
beetroot

Started by newseed on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 10:54
by Aunt Sally
xx
beetroot

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 13:06
by Jeanieblue
sad
Beetroot

Started by Jinny23 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2015, 21:37
by Gardener and Rabbit

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 39 queries.