Choosing chickens and their age

• 6 Replies

RuthG

« on: May 18, 2008, 17:36 »
I'm looking to get some chickens, and just wondered if there were any advantages/disadvantages of getting younger chicks, rather than hens near point of lay? I understand that the sex can't be identified with some breeds until they are older, however, I also understand that with some breeds you can tell from an early age due to the colour.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 19:22 »
what breed or breeds do you think you'd like to get?

RuthG

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 20:38 »
I really love the polish hens and the silkies, however, I'm still not entirely sure as to what to get yet.

I want something that is going to be easy(ish!) to look after, not prone to ill health, good layers (obviously!) and pretty  :oops:

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 21:55 »
Both of them are lovely!! I've found that having them as chicks means they are much more tame as they have got used to you from an earlier age. Plus it is lovely to watch them grow up. BUT - you will end up with boys and not want to part with them and it is a very long wait for eggs!

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 22:16 »
Depending on the breed you may or may not be able to get sexed chicks.

Silkies are notoriously difficult/impossible to sex until they start laying/crowing. ;) I was really lucky I got two 'off heat' and both turned out to be hens. They are not good layers though, they lay for 2 - 3 weeks then go broody, which is what I got them for ;)  They are adorable too  :lol:  I don't know anything about Polands.
I suspect that sexed chicks are more likely to be the commercial breeds, although there are quite a few first generation crosses that have sexlinked traits, I'm sure that there are some traditional breeds, too, but no idea which ones.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

peggyprice

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 22:36 »
Mdueal has a theory about this ...

Quote from: "mdueal"
The lady we got our first silkie chicks from told us about it - the ones with pronounced bumps are girls and smooth heads are boys - obviously there is some in between variation where you cant really tell. It has worked out for us so far with all our silkie chicks.
Not sure about polands though as have never raised them.Our sultan hen had big bumpy head when she was a chick but don't know if they all would due to both sexes ending up with crest??

It's on the thread 'Urgent hatching help needed' towards the end ... after all Babe's gorgeous chick pics    :)

PS Sorry mdueal - only just noticed you were already on this thread  :oops:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 23:32 »
i would think it depends on your budget too as pure breds like silkies and polands tend to cost more than hybreds also another thing to think about would be size do you want large fowl or bantams?

i have a mixture and all lay well, my marans are 4 years old now and still lay!
good care keeps all breeds laying well!
prettyness is in the eye of the beholder too so go for what takes your fancy.

i usually go for POL as they dont need special care but have just bought unsexed growers and have to wait another 8 weeks or so till i find out what ive got and for eggs if they are girls.
POL tend to be fed layers pellets all their life while chicks dependent on age will need chick crumbs and/ or growers pellets untill they are POL
hope that helps

xx
Choosing a POL bird

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 09, 2009, 20:19
by beulah59
clip
Choosing a coop

Started by pennynctwarrell on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2020, 17:14
by snowdrops
xx
Choosing Chooks?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 17:26
by pushrod
xx
Choosing new bantam

Started by Redgoat on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 21:19
by spud

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 38 queries.