Bush tomatoes

• 12 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Bush tomatoes
« on: July 17, 2012, 17:12 »
They're new to me, I've always grown cordon ones in the greenhouse/polytunnel. Do you just let them grow away or do you attempt to prune them to at least cut back some of the rampant growth? I'm growing Alka Bush in the tunnel. The Brandy Wine, although not advertised as bush tomatoes also seem to have the same habits as the Alkas

Auntiemogs

Re: Bush tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 17:19 »
I just pull off a few leaves to make sure there's plenty of air flow if they start getting out of control.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 17:28 »
Do you attempt to support them as with cucumbers and melons etc?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 17:32 »
Strategically placed canes and string from cane to cane usually works ok  ;)

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 11:47 »
Some of my Tom Golden Sunrise & Moneymaker are at the top of the green house - do I lop the tops of ??  Really good plants this year - best thing I've grown in the rain.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 13:12 »
I grew my brandywine's as cordons, otherwise they would have been trailing along the ground.  I've started to tie my Incas a bit as they are getting HUGE!!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 13:50 »
Some of my Tom Golden Sunrise & Moneymaker are at the top of the green house - do I lop the tops of ??  Really good plants this year - best thing I've grown in the rain.
Mine's only an 8x6 so I've run a wire along the apex and I'm tying them into strings running up to it - they seem quite happy.  I suppose it depends on how much growing height you have.  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 18:29 »
Some of my Tom Golden Sunrise & Moneymaker are at the top of the green house - do I lop the tops of ??  Really good plants this year - best thing I've grown in the rain.
Mine's only an 8x6 so I've run a wire along the apex and I'm tying them into strings running up to it - they seem quite happy.  I suppose it depends on how much growing height you have.  :)

Cutting off the tops will mean the plants now put their energy and resources into growing decent tomatoes that are already set, rather than growing more flowers, the fruit from which may not ripen.

I cut mine off after five trusses for big fruited sorts, and six trusses for small ones

Werks fer me  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 20:34 »
Sunshineband  - I went into the green house this morning and trimmed those toms.  They were trying to grow through the frame of the greenhouse and I need to keep that intact.  Trimmed some leaves of as well as I couldn't see the toms - can now!! Hope they ripen soon in this lovely sunshine.  :D 

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 21:19 »
I've got mine planted right at the side of the tunnel, trained up strings. What I have been finding is that the bits that push up against the sides/roof of the tunnel are going all black and crispy, presumably because they're being scorched because of condensation. Doesn't seem to be harming the plants at all, but if it's the growth tip that's being scorched it does rather cut off the tops for me :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 06:22 »
That's handy then - self trimming toms  :D  I think you are right that they are scorching at the edges, but if the rest is healthy, should be fine   :)

I've taken the tops off my greenhouse triffids toms to make them ripen what they have produced so far, as Sunshine advises.  My cuke however has looped itself along the tops of the toms next to it and I now have a rather nice daisy chain of baby cukes along the top of the greenhouse  :lol:  

It was a baby cuke plant from work helpfuly labelled as All Female so not sure what variety it is  ::)  It grows as a fairly thin vine with not too many leaves, so won't cast much shade. Not sure how this will work but everyone seems to be co-existing happily so far and not willing to sacrifice those cukes ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 07:20 »
I had a bit of a thin out of cuke leaves last night as I had huge telegraph leaves shading the toms

Looks a bit less like carnage this morning as leaves have righted themselves more in the space

Chrysalis

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 13:43 »
Thanks for the tips! Glad my instincts weren't wrong - I've trimmed off extra leaves, tied in the long arms of the jungle lianas(!) and will top the toms as suggested.  Cukes are like New Shoot's. - lots of little ones in a chain.  Supposed to be "lunchbox" size.  really tasty, too  :)

Thanks for starting this thread!

xx
Holy basil tea bush seeds any one had a go?

Started by japagow on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 05:35
by PurplePixie
xx
Tomato Sweet Olive - Bush or Cordon?

Started by adri123 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2016, 05:48
by wapello
xx
Tomatoes

Started by Austin Brownlee on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2015, 12:39
by Dave NE
xx
Tomatoes

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post September 24, 2014, 16:11
by simonwatson

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 41 queries.