tomatoes thick and thin stems

• 3 Replies

ricky

tomatoes thick and thin stems
« on: July 22, 2012, 11:45 »
ive grown tomatoes in my tunnel for 4 years now in raised beds i put cow maure to these every year ,now this year some of my plants are big and strong and others are weak and skinny ive planted different kinds of seed so i cant blame that i know sunlight has been really bad this year ,now do you think its time to change my soil ie.soil sickness its a 42 x 16 tunnel so it would take a lot of work to replace,would over wintering green manure help it claims to fix nitrogen into the soil or would pots be an idea to give the soil a rest for a year , its very strange that one plant can be as thick as your finger and the other like a straw both out of the same seed packet ive been growing toms over 30years this is a first does anyone know much about this green manure thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: tomatoes thick and thin stems
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 13:16 »
Is the difference between varieties, or between plants of the same variety?

In my greenhouse, some varieties have coped better with this year's weather better than others.
 :(

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 13:30 »
I've got a couple of puny tomatoes in my tunnel, both surrounded by huge healthy thugs. I've come to the conclusion that those two plants are catching a draft where I haven't quite closed the side vents properly. It doesn't matter now it's warmer, but when they were growing they just never grew on as strongly as the rest, I guess because they were stressed by a bit of chill.

ricky

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 14:10 »
its plants of different seed all over the tunnel big healthy * then wee puny things seed  was bought from different companys and different breeds so i cant blame the companys or seed the sun has a big part to play i would think maybe give the soil a rest next year has anyone any thoughts on green manure would this help the soil thanks

xx
tomato plant rotting stems

Started by Jamboian on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 06:45
by arugula
xx
tomatoes

Started by archies plot on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 00:42
by Paul Plots
xx
Tomatoes

Started by Austin Brownlee on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2015, 12:39
by Dave NE
xx
Tomatoes

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post September 24, 2014, 16:11
by simonwatson

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 41 queries.