Anyone started Toms yet?

• 24 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
Anyone started Toms yet?
« on: March 03, 2015, 19:54 »
I've a few in the heated GH but should have been more patient and waited until now at least.

Anyone else got any going?  Or anything else for that matter?  I'm tempted to start off some lettuce and Pak Choi.

Adri

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone started Toms yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 20:12 »
I've got some peas growing in flower buckets in the cold greenhouse.
Seedlings of a couple of early toms in small pots on the window-ledge, and a tray of peppers to pot on soon, they'll be staying in front of the window in the spare bedroom 'til it's warmer.

I've just got my seed box out again  ::) to sort out what toms I'll be sowing next week, and destined for the cold greenhouse at the end of April/beginning of May.

Need to sow parsley soon, and more peas in the ground as soon as this cold weather is over, maybe get the plastic on next week, to warm the soil.

Oh nearly forgot the early cabbage, it's struggling on in the cold frame - don't know if it will come to anything  :unsure:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 20:19 »
Started the toms and cape gooseberries a few days ago.
Celeriac seeds are up, so are broad beans and leeks.

Have started off penstamons, cup and saucer plants, pansies, nicotiana, cerinthe and blue salvias, Brussels and calabrese.

Also started some dwarf peas but didn't plant the rest as rain stopped play. :(

Will carry on with the peas and  mange alls,  parsley and parsnips tomorrow. Then I will have a dig around in the seed box to see what will be next.

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 17:38 »
I don't have a heated green house so everything starts life in a heated propagator in the kitchen then migrates to the cold green house. So far, I've started off 8 varieties of tomato(just pricked them out into 3" pots), leeks, onions and peppers. I know all the pros and cons but I just can't wait to start, I tell myself every year to be patient with the seeds but I just can't!! :nowink:

Steveharford

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 18:49 »
I've got loads of spring onions growing well in modules or pots in batches of six or so. Little gem lettuce just showing through. Toms and chillies about 3-4" high. Sowed tagetes, psb, kale, mesembryanthemum today. Nothing planted or sown in garden yet as on cold clay soil but poised to sow beetroot, parsni and radi.

LotuSeed

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 01:46 »
I've not sown anything yet. The weather is starting to warm up now and tbh if I sow now or later in the month it won't make much of a difference as everything eventually catches up. May start some serranos soon but who knows.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 14:26 »
I don't have a heated green house so everything starts life in a heated propagator in the kitchen then migrates to the cold green house. So far, I've started off 8 varieties of tomato(just pricked them out into 3" pots), leeks, onions and peppers. I know all the pros and cons but I just can't wait to start, I tell myself every year to be patient with the seeds but I just can't!! :nowink:

I have just sowed tom seeds (two varieties) - two days ago - and they are in propagators on the kitchen windowsill.  I will be moving them to unheated greenhouse once they are established, and from there they will grow on, in pots, in the greenhouse.  No point in growing them outdoors up here, even the so-called outdoor varieties (been there, tried it), and now is probably the earliest time to sow them, for me.  I hope your early sowings are successful - I know what you mean about not being able to wait, but I have had to learn to do so, living here!

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 19:07 »
Man in garden centre today buying toms, me thinking, ooh, too early.

No heated greenhouse.

Newlygreenfingered

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 22:55 »
Started a week ago 👍 first year as a greenhouse owner, super excited and slightly nervous.
its good to get dirty.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 07:53 »
Just sowed latah and tumbling tom in bay window heated propagator.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 08:20 »
Sowed my toms a couple of weeks ago. They get carried to the poly tunnel to be in good light during the day then brought in to the house at night to keep warm. I keep a cover over them if its a cooler day to keep the temp up a bit. Will need potting on in a week or so.........will need several journeys back and forth then.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 08:51 »
Sowed mine and then the kids all came home so they got moved to the freezing cold porch where they stayed. They have done great.

m1ckz

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 12:24 »
you put the kids in the cold porch BQ  ohhhh shame   .. well better look after the seeds i guess lol

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 15:38 »
you put the kids in the cold porch BQ  ohhhh shame   .. well better look after the seeds i guess lol

Seeds first......... The toms and cues I sowed all love it out in the porch and it trully is freezing??????? Growing well and will soon need potting on.

Headgardener22

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 16:31 »
Sowed mine on the 1st March and they've all popped their heads above the ground. The trays of plugs will go in and out for a few weeks until they're big enough to be potted up.

xx
Best advice on getting started with a PT please?

Started by DIY GRANDAD on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post September 30, 2020, 22:37
by jezza
thumbup
Planting started :-)

Started by Paul Canning on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post February 01, 2021, 19:27
by Paul Canning
xx
Finally started in the greenhouse today

Started by Paul Canning on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 21:27
by Paul Canning
xx
toms

Started by alancas on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 12:43
by alancas

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 37 queries.