Fleece In The Greenhouse?

• 11 Replies

Pimento

• Experienced Member
Fleece In The Greenhouse?
« on: March 31, 2013, 17:12 »
Hi,

I have half-hardy stuff which really needs to be moved now from my window sills to the greenhouse. Still so cold in there, though.... Down to -2.2C again last night, with not much improvement forecast, it seems, for at least the rest of the week.

In the greenhouse I have cheapo four-tier plastic staging from Wilkos, which proved perfect last year for growing on trayloads of plants after pricking out.

If I fashion some covers for the staging out of fleece (bought off the roll), do people think that will be enough to keep a couple of degrees of frost off my seedlings for the time being? I'd really like a heater but I'm not convinced that's a good idea when I can't get to our (rather vandal-ridden) allotments every day.

All advice appreciated!

Many thanks,

Pim.
I don't really look like my avatar.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Fleece In The Greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 17:28 »

Try and 'aquire' some bubble wrap, this will help also.  Anything between your plants and the cold air has got to help.  :)

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 17:36 »
Thanks, Tony - been collecting bubble wrap so that will be going in too, hopefully!  :)

allot2learn

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 17:58 »
I have my greenhouse lined with fleece which I prefer to plastic or bubble wrap as it allows moisture to evaporate and not sit on the cold glass. I also cover any delicate seedlings and my seed spuds are covered in it.
Use Bwrap by all means but be aware that you may need to ventilate.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 18:05 »
How so, Allot2learn? Do you mean that the fleece absorbs the moisture, whereas the plastic can't?

Thanks,

Pim.

allot2learn

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 18:44 »
No, the plastic traps the moisture inside the greenhouse, whereas I find that the fleece allows it to breath.

brewerboy

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 18:47 »
Hi,

I have half-hardy stuff which really needs to be moved now from my window sills to the greenhouse. Still so cold in there, though.... Down to -2.2C again last night, with not much improvement forecast, it seems, for at least the rest of the week.

In the greenhouse I have cheapo four-tier plastic staging from Wilkos, which proved perfect last year for growing on trayloads of plants after pricking out.

If I fashion some covers for the staging out of fleece (bought off the roll), do people think that will be enough to keep a couple of degrees of frost off my seedlings for the time being? I'd really like a heater but I'm not convinced that's a good idea when I can't get to our (rather vandal-ridden) allotments every day.

All advice appreciated!

Many thanks,

Pim.
i use cheepo fleece from the pound shop and it works OK for young sedlings and also helps warm th compost up during this cold weather.

syks grower

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 21:27 »
I would be very careful in putting anything thats at all tender in your greenhouse even if you covered with fleece.
What plants are you moving into the greenhouse?

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 22:04 »
I have half-hardy annuals getting leggy now that can't stay in the house much longer.

Annieh78

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 12:56 »
No, the plastic traps the moisture inside the greenhouse, whereas I find that the fleece allows it to breath.

I have a new (single layer) polycarbonate greenhouse and am thinking of suspending fleece on wires under the roof to  keep in some warmth overnight -- do others find this works? And would I need to also hang some fleece down on the walls too?

Overnight the temp. drops to about the same temp. as the outside.

I cannot afford lining the greenhouse with another layer of polycarbonate sheeting. Thanks (and sorry if this has been asked before, I am new to this forum :)
greenhouse4.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 13:18 »
I just drape it over plants that need it.........or over low hoops.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 01:58 »
Hi, in the end I bought 'large bubble' bubble wrap and fixed it all over the inside of the greenhouse using variations on the plastic fixings they call alliplugs. It took me the best part of a weekend and cost me about £35 altogether but I reckon it was worth it - the overnight temperature has been 1.5 to 2 degrees higher inside the greenhouse over the past few weeks than outside, so my tender seedlings have been quite happy without any heating or extra protection. Mind you, the greenhouse was well-sealed anyway, so no draughts through gaps or round the door, despite it being in a very exposed spot. True, there's a fair bit of condensation but not enough to have posed a problem, even when temperatures inside the greenhouse have been very high. Now, the bubble wrap seems to be providing some useful shading. I've lost fewer small plants than usual by this time of year. I'm glad I did it!

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 37 queries.