Rotovator Help

• 8 Replies

dazza

Rotovator Help
« on: January 04, 2009, 14:13 »
I have a mountfield M1 Super, with what i think is a lawn mower engine retro fitted a Briggs and Stratton Classic 35.

It has been working fine, and has served me well on my new plot !

However - it started cutting out mid operation so i thought maybe a good service was in order - i have been using it again today and it still continued to cut out, but when i went to start it again the pull start ws REALLY hard, then once i turned it over once, it went really easy again, then again it would go hard.

I made sure the cutters were not engaged - but to turn over was like it was trying to turn the tines but they were not engaged.

Wondering now weather to service or ditch the engine and get a new one.

Would obviously prefer the cheapest route....but can't live without me faithful rotovator.

Any help greatly appreciated.

darren

Gwiz

Rotovator Help
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 15:37 »
Have you checked the oil level? It should have about a pint. I usually worry when people say it's hard to pull over! ( does the engine smoke a lot? )
If the oil level is ok, you might find that a belt is getting stuck and rubbing when disingaged.

dazza

Rotovator Help
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 19:07 »
Thanks - i am sure when i first got it i checked the oil level, i will take a look, it smokes a bit when i first start it - but i would'nt say it smokes lots.

Thanks for your help - so you think its nothing major ?

Darren

Gwiz

Rotovator Help
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 05:15 »
If it's been run low on oil, You may well have partially seized the engine, that's why the rope was hard to pull. it certainly won't have done it any good, if that's the case. Or, it could also just be a sticking belt, which needs a little adjustment. hard to say without looking at it. If it's still going, but a bit of an oil burner, just keep using it, but do keep an eye on the oil level! :D

dazza

Rotovator Help
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 09:21 »
As you will have gathered i am of a non techinacal mind  :lol:

Could it be the cold temperatures making the oil thicker - plus if it is a little low !

I was playing with it at the weekend ready for when the ground defrosts so it was in the shed at around freezing...

Thanks for your help..

Darren

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
Rotovator Help
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 03:46 »
Did you hit a rock or something during use? It could be a partially sheared flywheel key which is throwing it out of time. Makes for hard cranking but only at times when the engine is firing too soon.

Trillium

Rotovator Help
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 17:17 »
Perhaps this is too simplistic but do you have anything wrapped around the tines like wire or rope? That's usually when I have pulling problems and didn't realize the source.

dazza

Rotovator Help
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 16:50 »
Went down to visit me Rotovator this morning armed with tools and some oil.

The pull cord stuck fast  :cry:

Checked the oil and was low - so i topped up and thought *  :x ceased the engine.

Tried to look like i knew what i was down as i could sense some of the old boys looking !

Then  :tongue2:  :tongue2:  I found the problem, one of the drive belts had slipped off the and was jammed up under the motor stopping it turning !

Sorted that - pulled easy and away it went  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :D  :D

Topped the oil up and we are back in business again!

Thanks for the pointers guys....Just need the ground to defrost and i can use it again. :tongue2:

Darren

Gwiz

Rotovator Help
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 21:28 »
Happy to help, Dazza. glad it was only the belt, it often is! :lol:

xx
rotovator help.

Started by arthur cooke on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post February 13, 2008, 11:56
by arthur cooke
question
WHICH rotovator

Started by Penfold on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 22:05
by Penfold
xx
who's rotovator is this?

Started by jack russell on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 07:48
by jack russell
xx
ROTOVATOR MTD T/380

Started by hayter on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 14:49
by hayter

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 35 queries.