How deep is your mud?

• 9 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
How deep is your mud?
« on: March 17, 2024, 20:43 »
A plot visit today had this Bee Gees classic playing in my head  :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqqjU7u5Yc

I went to drop off some bags of green waste for the compost bins and check everything was OK, but any thought of doing anything was quickly scuppered.  Actually empty the bags into bins - slurp, slide as I waded over the soil.  Get new tree ties onto the pear trees - uurrrmmm, probably going to sink up to my knees if I stand in one spot for longer than a minute.  Harvest a bit of chard - probably going to mean more earth than greenery in the bag  ::)

We have pretty heavy clay based soil, but it is more like tidal mud flats at the moment.  I guess the seed spuds will be staying in the shed for a few weeks yet  :tongue2:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How deep is your mud?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 22:41 »
The beds on the lower part of the terrace here, keep getting flooded  - I hope the newly planted roses survive  :ohmy:

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 09:55 »
When I visited the plot I was virtually skiing on a mud path to get to it.
Too wet for serious cultivation I pity the farmers at present.
Keep digging

wighty

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 17:02 »
We drive daily down the Military Road which is the coastal route along the West Wight.  It mainly has fields on either side and we comment about how many 'ponds ' there are now, but all the lower 'furrow' lines are just filled with water.  Earlier we had some green shoots starting to appear but they've gone, probably rotted.  So I agree about the comment about poor farmers.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 00:56 »
A plot visit today had this Bee Gees classic playing in my head  :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqqjU7u5Yc

I went to drop off some bags of green waste for the compost bins and check everything was OK, but any thought of doing anything was quickly scuppered.  Actually empty the bags into bins - slurp, slide as I waded over the soil.  Get new tree ties onto the pear trees - uurrrmmm, probably going to sink up to my knees if I stand in one spot for longer than a minute.  Harvest a bit of chard - probably going to mean more earth than greenery in the bag  ::)

We have pretty heavy clay based soil, but it is more like tidal mud flats at the moment.  I guess the seed spuds will be staying in the shed for a few weeks yet  :tongue2:

When I saw your post title, thoughts of that song started even before I read your post!  :lol:

Our grass and trees are greening up, the weather is warming, So we aren't having many mud days now.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 01:00 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 15:10 »
Thanks for thinking about that son and the link, I have just spent a happy few minutes watching those boys and their lovely shiny long hair.    ah ah.     Mrs B
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 08:03 »
DEEP :ohmy: :mad:

Looking back at the history on my weather station and we have nearly twice as much rainfall for the first 3 months compared to 2022!
We just a couple of mil away from last years total for the month of April.
We are sandy soil here but the water table is so high its not going anywhere.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 18:36 »
We did a site walk at the weekend, and while we didn't have the same levels of standing water that we had after the Boxing Day 2015 rains and floods, the ground was very squelchy in ways I don't ever remember. How neither of us ended up on our bottoms from the mud on site, I'll never know  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2024, 19:51 »
The bottom few plots on site have been frequently under water over the winter & any heavy rain results in it pooling in ditches most of those ‘owners’ have dug around their plots. Luckily for me I’m higher up tge hill so although my plot has been laggy to say the least it has drained quickly & with doing no dig the heavy mulches I choose to use,  help I’m sure.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2024, 23:21 »
Interestingly enough, the plots with the most frequent standing water (which have, quite justifiably, some proper edged beds with channels about 12" deep around them) are at the top of the site.

We understand (from a session with a geophysicist - yes we did use the machine but there was no Tony Robinson around!) that the raised parts of the site are the end of a former glacier (a terminal moraine), and so I think there's a clay cap at the surface level of those higher parts of the site. Plus an underground spring somewhere that comes to the surface about halfway down the 'hill' and makes life extra interesting at times.  :unsure: The plot which is most affected by the spring is one where we are not too forceful about the willow ...  ::)

xx
I'm in deep trouble

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post September 03, 2023, 16:30
by wighty

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 50 queries.